1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Guitar Lessons

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xseler, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Gunbuffer

Gunbuffer Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Shoulda got a lefty. I’m a lefty and I like having my strong hand up there. do you still have it? I’ll trade you a Glock or something for it

2. O4L

O4L Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    No. It's long gone.

3. John6185

John6185 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    I bought a 5 string banjo a few years back and believe me, it's hard to keep up the interest when you have no one teaching other than the internet. There are so many internet instructors and all claim to have the best techniques.

4. MacFromOK

MacFromOK Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I'm very right-handed as well. I've told folks for years that my left hand is just a helper for my right. :D

Like everything else, it takes practice for chord formations to become second-nature. You can practice that while doing something mindless (lol, like watching TV) without even making a sound.

Learning bar chords (where you use the same formations for playing in different keys by moving the positions up and down the fret board) is pretty much necessary IMO if you want to learn pickin' (i.e. lead guitar).

It's a blast to play along with your favorite songs, though they're often not recorded to the same pitch. I used to make cassettes with songs I liked that were, even if I had to tune the guitar up/down a bit to match 'em.

The strings are probably rusted off my old SG and Yammer-hammer flat-top.
    <sigh> :drunk2:

5. thor447

thor447 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Same here. I'm a lefty, and I found it more natural to have my strong hand on the neck. I'd trade any Glock I own for a solid American made Strat, any day!

Gunbuffer likes this.
  6. Droff

Droff Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    My son gives lessons, he's in Choctaw but can travel a bit. Let me know if you're interested in talking with him and I can get you his contact info.

xseler likes this.
  7. nofearfactor

nofearfactor Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    If you were in the Tulsa area I would work with you. I can check on my OKC musicians for instructors there also.

xseler likes this.