Gun Maint - Lube, solvent, rust preventative

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
OK, so I know we've had these threads, and I'll be finding them and adding them here, but for now, It would be good to have it all in one place. I'd specifically like to hear comments from those who are educated on them.

What are the preferred...

Lubricants, oil and/or grease, and where you use them, and why.

Cleaning solvents, same thing. Where and why.

Rust preventatives, where and why.

On recommendation from other shooters, I use 30 weight motor oil for nearly all my lubrication, rifle and pistol. I use Hoppes #9 as a cleaning solvent, because that's what I've always done. I have no particular attachment to it. I use the SAE 30 oil for rust prevention too, and wipe with silicon cloth when needed.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used Break Free CLP for awhile. I came across this comparison, http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html and it sounds like Break Free is still a good choice.

Been using Hoppes/Breakfree CLP since my Marine Corps days long ago. Seems to be just fine. I don't think I've ever had a failure that I can clearly attribute due to cleaning or lube. For rust prevention or storage, I just slop the CLP on heavy and wrap 'er up in wax paper. I keep dessicant in the safe too.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
for water removal this may be too expensive for most of you with just a few guns.

1/2 VM&P Naptha
1/2 0 weight moble 1

I mix this up by the quart by eye and use it for all the guns I work on that have to be cleaned in water (such as Bluing operations or cleaning black powder guns.) I put it in a spray bottle and use it by hanging the parts with bailing wire and spray it down well, It takes the water right out and protects it while it hangs there, When I take it down I wipe it down and oil it with Moble machine oil.

zoomaster1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Started using Militec1 oil about 6mos. ago. I liked the fact that it "bonds" to the metal and fills in the irregularities to create a smooth surface. Use a small drop inside the grooves of the slide, and a very small "smear" of Militec1 grease on top of the frame that meets the slide. The first time I shot, after about 100 rounds, I suddenly felt the slide hit back a little harder like something had just released the slide to travel a little farther back. IMO, this is some really good stuff.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
for water removal this may be too expensive for most of you with just a few guns.

1/2 VM&P Naptha
1/2 0 weight moble 1

I mix this up by the quart by eye and use it for all the guns I work on that have to be cleaned in water (such as Bluing operations or cleaning black powder guns.) I put it in a spray bottle and use it by hanging the parts with bailing wire and spray it down well, It takes the water right out and protects it while it hangs there, When I take it down I wipe it down and oil it with Moble machine oil.

I will be heeding this advice.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score

1/2 VM&P Naptha
1/2 0 weight moble 1

I will be heeding this advice.

And where can one get this stuff? I assume it doesn't go bad, so mixing up some would just last me a lot longer.

Also, any uses for grease on any gun parts?

I've also heard of using paste wax (??) on blued finished guns for protection, is this something I should be doing?

FireproofD3:25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Absolutely love Hoppe's #9, really the only solvent I've ever used and it doubles as cologne. Love the sweet odor of that stuff! Another vote for Breakfree CLP for rust prevention as well.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And where can one get this stuff? I assume it doesn't go bad, so mixing up some would just last me a lot longer.

Also, any uses for grease on any gun parts?

I've also heard of using paste wax (??) on blued finished guns for protection, is this something I should be doing?

VM&P stands for Varnish Makers and Painters....You can get it at any paint store, Lowe's, Home Depot, ect. Used to be used as lighter fluid too.

It will desolve grease better than gasoline.

Grease on gun parts? Well I use grease on internal parts but just a light layer because you don't want it to gum anything up. I don't use spray grease anymore I just put it on with a Q-tip.

Latest posts

Top Bottom