Hall of fame gun show is another bait and switch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itchyfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

TSgt Twitch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
as i said int he other thread. I think just going at the end of the day and waiting outside for the private sellers that didn't make a deal and are willing to haggle a little is the only way to get a fair deal at a gun show anymore. Used to be you could go to a gun show and prices where better. Now the prices are higher because the promoters are charging more for table space and all the people that buy in bulk buy on the internet.

I think the only money in it for the vendors these days is to get their name out there better and maybe move a little impulse product ( mags/ammo/acessories). and some of the old timers should just retire, or learn people skills.

Oh and what is it with Oklahoma gun shows in general, is there like a state hatred for anything not made of oak or dipped in real-tree? ( yes plenty of AR's at retail prices or higher of course) but no milsurps/exotics etc.

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Second gun show in a row I had to pay $14 to get in. On top of that, there are no deals I have seen at the shows over the last year at I can't get on OSA, Armslist, Boomer Shooter, or a local shop. Dealers at these shows think their stuff is made of gold or the last one left on earth.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Took my son to the gun show today, it was $14 to get in, NO vet discounts. I told them the website said $12 AND SHOWED IT TO THEM ON MY PHONE, and the ******* taking money looked at it and told me that was NOT their website and I needed to pay or leave.

I will NOT be doing these gunshows again and I hope everyone on here will spread the word.

Piss on them.

I posted about this same problem in Tulsa last weekend, Deiner himself told me the fairgrounds here imposed a charge for any ticketed event over with over 250 tickets sold so he went up to cover that? The fairgrounds did in fact impose a charge but only $1.00 per ticket! I asked him about the website price of $12.00 and he said if people mention it then they would honor it, I guess if you didn't mention it you just got screwed out of 2 bucks?? Great way to do business!
Why can't they change the price on the website?

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I seldom read the tulsa paper anymore so if listed I missed the $14 advertised price. I did see the $12 price on the expo square site's event calendar for the tulsa show last week (currently lists $12 for the Dec. show too). I also asked at the door but was still charged $14. I didn't check the okla county fairgounds site for this week's show.
Maybe just a lack of communication on someone's part but seems like it might cost the promoter some business.
Shame too as the grand national has been my favorite show for some time.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the reason for the increase was parking, I'd say they need to refund some money. I had trouble parking on the south side of the building today because they are already setting up rides for the fair and taking up parking space.

sixseven

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just called the fairgrounds and spoke to a very nice lady who informed me that several months ago at the beginning of the year, they had a ONE DOLLAR per head increase. This means they (grand national) had advanced knowledge of this increase and it also means they DOUBLED that cost as they passed it on to the customers.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What a complete joke. If they truly wanted to charge for parking they would do like every other event with paid parking and have a gate before you were allowed on the property. This sounds like a total scam to me and very few shows are worth $14. Maybe not even Wanenmacher.

sixseven

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just sent this email to the promoter, we'll see if they reply.

I have had a very disappointing experience at your show today and due to the way I was treated and the way it was handled, I will not be returning to another one of your shows. I looked up your show online and saw that the admission was $12 on every website it was advertised on. When I got to the door I was charged $14. I asked about the advertised price of $12 online and was told “the fairgrounds added $2 per person for parking”. I then said there were four people in my car and was told it was still $14 per person even though we only had one car. The lady then got very rude and said “look I’m just here to sell tickets, do you want one or not?”. I just spoke to the fairgrounds and was told that early this year, several months ago, they had a ONE DOLLAR increase per head. My question to you is why didn’t you post the correct price on your advertisements if you had been told about it months ago? Another question I have is if you couldn’t update the price on the various websites you advertised on, why wouldn’t you honor the original price to those who at least knew to ask about it? And yet the final question I have is if the fair only increased your price $1 per person, why would you then decide to increase your admission fee $2 instead? I am in a very competitive service industry and I am well aware that customer satisfaction and word of mouth go a long way towards running a successful event and keeping it successful. I personally feel slighted by the entire process and will be voicing my opinion not only to the firearms community, but on-air at the radio station (KKNG) that was on site promoting the event. I am also a very active poster on okshooters.com, where there are thousands of Oklahoma firearms enthusiasts. I have started a conversation on that website where you can read about exactly how unhappy you are making a pretty significant part of your customer base. Please see the conversation here http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?150172-Hall-of-fame-gun-show-is-another-bait-and-switch

This is not the first time a gun show has done this to the firearms community, so it has struck a still open nerve from previous incidents. If anything above in incorrect or there is something you would like to say to the community, please feel free to post at the link above or email me directly and I will forward the message on.

Thanks for your time.

P.S. The two dollars in and of itself is not the main source of frustration, I would have paid $14 if that was the advertised price. The frustration lies with being told a different price at the door and then being told basically to pay more or leave. This all has been compounded by the fact that on your own website http://grandamericanarmsshows.com/ you do not list the price of admission, so we must assume that the other posted advertisements are correct. See examples below from the top three results in google.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/gunshows/ShowDetails.aspx?sid=58644
http://www.gunshowstoday.com/gun-show/oklahoma-city-hall-of-fame-gun-show-3/
http://gunshowtrader.com/gun-shows/hall-fame-gun-show-oklahoma-city/

Latest posts

Top Bottom