Have TX CHL, moved to OK, what now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

petrotk40

Can someone outline the steps I need to take?

It is my understanding that all I will be able to keep my TX CHL and that is essentially becomes a non-resident permit once I change the address thru TXDPS. I will carry a TX CHL and OK DL and will be fine as long as the addresses match? Do I need to notify anyone on Oklahoma that I have a CHL? I could be totally mistaken... any help would be great.

Thanks!

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tx does not allow non-resident licenses. Once you officially relocate your permit becomes ineffective. I went through the same thing two years ago. At last check, you can obtain an OK permit with no residence waiting period. The other thing is that you can carry in the car and if pulled over declare it. It can be written as a citation same as a speeding ticket but nothing more serious. My wife has been pulled over twice this way and the trooper and county deputy were both glad she had it and sent her on her way.

greyBeered

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Texas DOES support non-resident.

You need to get an address change form from the Texas CHL web-site, fill it out, attach a xerox of you OK drivers license, and send it in via regular mail.

The only thing is that you can't do this over the web; you need to send in the hard copy and the check, but it is pretty straightforward.

You will receive a TX non-resident license, listed against your OK drivers license.

When you move back to Texas, you can convert it back to a resident TX chl.

This is from first hand experience. BTW, I found out when taking my TX renewal class just recently that after you get your changed TX CHL, you are supposed to send the old one back.

I resided in OK for three years with a TX non-resident CHL.

OK is not so nice: the OK CHL only works with an OK DL (so my wife needs to get her TX CHL after we moved back).

P

petrotk40

thanks greyBeered, that's the exact info I needed! I got on the TXDPS site and changed the address to my OK one, it didn't throw any red flags... we'll see if I get a call or email soon.

tak1973

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tx does not allow non-resident licenses. Once you officially relocate your permit becomes ineffective. I went through the same thing two years ago. At last check, you can obtain an OK permit with no residence waiting period. The other thing is that you can carry in the car and if pulled over declare it. It can be written as a citation same as a speeding ticket but nothing more serious. My wife has been pulled over twice this way and the trooper and county deputy were both glad she had it and sent her on her way.

This is 100% false.

My first 3 years in OK with my non-resident TXCHL was relatively trouble-free. I had a single instance where I was stopped for allegedly speeding and had an LEO insist that my non-res TXCHL was no longer valid. He was incorrect. If you're going to stay in OK, then by all means, take the easy route and get an OK license. If not, then you're still good to go as long as you keep the address up-to-date. Remember that OK does not have the 30.06 requirement for signage.

P

petrotk40

This is 100% false.

My first 3 years in OK with my non-resident TXCHL was relatively trouble-free. I had a single instance where I was stopped for allegedly speeding and had an LEO insist that my non-res TXCHL was no longer valid. He was incorrect. If you're going to stay in OK, then by all means, take the easy route and get an OK license. If not, then you're still good to go as long as you keep the address up-to-date. Remember that OK does not have the 30.06 requirement for signage.

I think I'll keep my TX CHL until it expires and then do the OK SDA or whatever it's called. I'd rather not have to shell out another $200 since I just got my permit about a year ago.

greyBeered

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks greyBeered, that's the exact info I needed! I got on the TXDPS site and changed the address to my OK one, it didn't throw any red flags... we'll see if I get a call or email soon.

When I did it, it had to be done via paper, not electronically, and I needed to attach a copy of my OK DL. Then I got back a new CHL that was listed as non-resident, and referenced my OK DL.

When I moved back to TX, I filled out the change of address, and the first CHL I received was a TX resident, but still listed the OK DL#. So the systems might easily not flag issues, and you might want to give them a call to verify that you can can from resident to non-resident electronically. The time to find out that your CHL is screwed up is not at the side of the road some night at 11pm with your car lit up!

The major advantage of an OK CCW is that OK has reciprocity with Ohio, for example, and Texas doesn't. The disadvantage of OK is that OK does not support non-resident, so if/when you move, the minute you get DL in another state your OK CCW is no good anymore.

Latest posts

Top Bottom