Hearing protection, Whats is your preferance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always used earplugs. I tried the earmuffs while I was at CLEET years ago. I hated being out on the skills pad in the heat of august with thosae things on. Felt like I had fishbowls on my ears. Only time I might use muffs now is when I am working the gunline. I have been using the foam plugs for years. While they are great I hate having to squish them before sticking them in my ears and removing them each time to hear anything. I just now ordered me some Surefire Pro earplugs....here is to hoping I have found the best earplugs.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been wanting to try some of those Surefire Pros, but I always seem to find something else I need more. :rolleyes2

When shooting pistols, I usually wear rubber ear plugs AND muffs. Because sure as hell, when you take the muffs off, some moron has an ND or something.

When shooting shotgun, I only use the plugs. You can't mount a scattergun properly with muffs on.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Surefire Pro's do not have enough db reduction to use alone, unless you're shooting something like 5.56 with a suppressor or 9mm subsonic without a can. I tend to use electronic muffs (MSA Sordin) except when it's just too hot. When shooting indoors, I use plugs & muffs.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use to use a combination of the foam plugs, or rubber plugs or Silencio ear muffs. But now I have switched to a set of custom molded ear plugs and really love them. I had the pair made at the OKC Gun Club one weekend I was there shooting.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually use Howar Leight Impact Sports electronic muffs. They are the best bang for your buck. For special occasions, I also have some MSA Sordin MICH single com. I think they are supreme pro X's with a hard wired boom mic. When things are really gonna be loud I use them in conjunction with surefire ep4's

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For handguns I use muffs. For rifles I generally use muffs but for some reason I am finding it more and more difficult to achieve a good cheek weld with them and have started using just earplugs.

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go to your local audiologist and get fitted for plugs with a compression valve. They allow for normal conversation and have around a 24 NRR. I've had mine for years and I love them!

BTW: my wife is an audiologist and this is what she got me and our kids.

Latest posts

Top Bottom