Help me BUILD MY AR...lol I need your ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I have no experience with Hammer Forged barrels of any kind, but Daniel Defense also makes hammer forged barrels, and they are certainly a reputable company also. You can get your choice of 16" too, they offer CAR, M4, lightweight, middy, HB, and also their proprietary S2W contour. You can get them with FSB or LoPro gas block installed too if you desire.

Sharingan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no experience with Hammer Forged barrels of any kind, but Daniel Defense also makes hammer forged barrels, and they are certainly a reputable company also. You can get your choice of 16" too, they offer CAR, M4, lightweight, middy, HB, and also their proprietary S2W contour. You can get them with FSB or LoPro gas block installed too if you desire.

I was going to go with a DD hammer forged barrel.. However I have been talking to Tom from Spikes Tactical.. He said he would work something special out with me for a new product they are coming out with in ~ 5-6 weeks... Its a 16" barrel, middy gas system, in between a government and lightweight profile, hammer forged. --

I also found out that the BCM bolt carrier group, is made by the same machine shop that makes the spike, and besides from aesthetics they are virtually identical.

Sharingan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So here is the build so far!...

Got the upper and BCG.. The Charging handle/BCG is pretty stiff.. been lubing and working it.. Its loosening up on me( not where I want it yet, but hell I dont have a barrel nor have I even fired it , so im not worried) - I have been reading that the VLTOR uppers are VERY tight so not an issue to me as of now.

ai425.photobucket.com_albums_pp334_Djmeiyo_WP_000086.jpg

I love the look with the spikes lowers..
ai425.photobucket.com_albums_pp334_Djmeiyo_WP_000093.jpg

Their BCG doesnt look as bad as I thought, actually kind of cool..
ai425.photobucket.com_albums_pp334_Djmeiyo_WP_000088.jpg

ai425.photobucket.com_albums_pp334_Djmeiyo_WP_000089.jpg

ai425.photobucket.com_albums_pp334_Djmeiyo_WP_000090.jpg

So next check is going to a Safe.. After that Ill probably start on the second build being that I sold my del ton upper. Im looking at a Spikes BioHazard upper.. Put that together with my plum crazy lower and just get a nice barrel. I think Im only going to do a hammer forged on this build to compare and see if I notice a difference.

Just a quick side note, the MUR1a is BEEFY.. but if you want to change your ejection port cover - you have to send it back to the factory ( or risk causing havok by taking apart the forward assist assembly).

Sharingan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

steelcityarmory

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a new grip on the lower.. And ordered a 16" hammer forged mid length barrel from Monty over at Centurion Arms (( http://www.centurionarms.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=barrel_detail.tpl&product_id=45&category_id=19&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=133 ))

All I need is a Flash Hider/ Muzzle Brake and Im ready for the optics!

Going with a eotech and 3x magnifier!

I am too excited I want this thing up and running!

What kind of Eotech you looking at and what type of magnifier?

Sharingan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind of Eotech you looking at and what type of magnifier?

I would like one with the bullet drop reticule that shows through in the magnifier.. However being that I havent gotten the barrel on-- I havent turned my attention to optics fully yet. Id actually like to try out and shoot a couple of red dot/ Magnifier combos. I may have a particular preference once I get the rifle up and running ready to shoot also.

Got confirmation that my barrel was shipped yesterday!.. I cant wait!

Anybody have any suggestions for a muzzle brake/flash suppressor??... I want one that does the best of both worlds- Very little recoil, but as little as possible muzzle flash, not to mention if it wouldnt blow out my eardrums or the persons next to me that would be nice.

Sharingan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So badda boom.. Got my Centurion Arms hammer forged barrel in the mail in about 3 business days.. So I was extremely surprised, especially seeing how the shortage on barrels ( especially hammer forged) is pretty intense.

So then I was geared up to put this thing together!

ai425.photobucket.com_albums_pp334_Djmeiyo_Photo_887B4196_D256_4BC1_0B57_9872F2744A58.jpg

ai425.photobucket.com_albums_pp334_Djmeiyo_WP_000122.jpg

Close up on the barrel..
ai425.photobucket.com_albums_pp334_Djmeiyo_WP_000124.jpg

Greasin the threads..
ai425.photobucket.com_albums_pp334_Djmeiyo_WP_000125.jpg

ai425.photobucket.com_albums_pp334_Djmeiyo_WP_000128.jpg

Got trigger happy.. Little did I realize that I forgot to take off the gas block before I get the delta assembly thing/ barrel nut on. Oops.
ai425.photobucket.com_albums_pp334_Djmeiyo_WP_000130.jpg

ai425.photobucket.com_albums_pp334_Djmeiyo_WP_000131.jpg

Sharingan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, now were good. lol.... Torqued it down to ~ 55 lbs
ai425.photobucket.com_albums_pp334_Djmeiyo_WP_000132.jpg

Gas tube is in..
ai425.photobucket.com_albums_pp334_Djmeiyo_WP_000133.jpg

I forgot to take a pic because I was so inently set on getting it in- but the gas tube pin WAS A PAIN IN THE ASS.. I will definitely invest in a lil starter punch/pin tool for that next time.

YHM quad rail on..
ai425.photobucket.com_albums_pp334_Djmeiyo_WP_000134.jpg

Set screwed down..
ai425.photobucket.com_albums_pp334_Djmeiyo_WP_000135.jpg

And Voila.. functional AR- ( Well I have to test it at the range first)
ai425.photobucket.com_albums_pp334_Djmeiyo_WP_000139.jpg

Vltor Upper -200
Centurion Arms Barrel -315
Low profile pinned gas block - 50
Spike Lower -100
Spike BCG -140
BCM Gunfight CH -38
DTI LPK -60
YHM Quad Rail -75
YHM Phantom flash hider -25
CAA Grip- -25
Magpul VFG -25
Magpul Pmag -17
Magpul MBUS -35(?)
Magpul MOE stock -60
Magpul Bad Lever -30
Buffer tube ext -10
Buffer/spring -15
Gas Tube -10
ACTION BLOCK (DPMS) -40
VICE FROM LOWES -90
TORQUE WRENCH -85
ARMORERS TOOL -20
PUNCH SET -12

Building my own AR for the first time- ~$1477

Beginning the relationship of getting to know my weapon system inside and out, especially for future troubleshooting and building. :D - Pricele$$

Next is optics. Eotech + Magnifier = co witness happiness.

I do plan on going with a spike tactical battle trigger set. Different buffer spring and buffer. Ready mag too.

Some things I learned while building this AR..

+ That if the gas tube pin was a person. I would physically assault him.
+ After visually witnessing the low profile gas block and how it was pinned, I see the reason why it is sturdier.. I also see that I must pay attention to which side of the pinned hole I punch the pin back in because apparently one side is tapered. I noticed this when the pin started shaving itself on the side of the hole LMAO.
+I will probably attempt to pin my own gas block from now on.
+I wont use another DTI kit.. Everything else works great, but you will probably end up wanting to switch out the trigger anyway, lol.

+ IF I DIDNT HAVE THE PROPER TOOLS THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN EXPONENTIALLY MORE DIFFICULT.

Scale of 1- 10 on difficulty.. 10 being a gyroscopic mass oscillator and 1 being two legos snapped together.. This was about a 2.8

Range Reports To Follow...... :hyper:

-Will

Latest posts

Top Bottom