Here’s Why Honda and Toyotas are Unreliable Now

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own a 2006 Toyota Sequoia, a 2013 F250 diesel, and a 2013 Cadillac Escalade...if I had to jump in one and take off to Alaska, it would for sure be the Toyota. (Would cost a little more on fuel though)
Everyone that has had the same vehicles would choose the same. I don’t know what new Toyota’s are like but the ones made up to ten years ago are so above and beyond it’s hard to relay

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a Sequoia that was purchased as a lease return one year old. Since then it’s been all over the country and dragged or hauled an encyclopedic list of crap. 315k on the odometer now. Put in a rebuilt tranny at about 180k and of course the common wear items. I go out and pop the hood every once in a while to remind myself that a car doesn’t have to look like Zsa Zsa Gabor’s continental travel trunk. I’m planning on driving it until it just drops like a horse in a spaghetti western desert scene. It’s worth more to me than it is to the market. Momma would put another of the same but newer model in the stable except she hates the hood that you can’t see over.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Die hard Toyota nut here! All my wife and I have driven for 13yrs now. Her family pretty much also all drive older Toyotas. I prefer older stuff, favored is around the 1998-2006ish range. Absolutely prime years for the legendary Toyota reliability! So well built.. can be hard find nice ones in good condition though.

I do all my own maintenance. My current daily driver work truck is a 2002 Tacoma 5spd manual 4x4 v6. I love it! Wife drives a 2004 sequoia, great vehicle. We currently own 4 Toyotas.. Older Tacomas and 4Runners with the factory rear-locker make the best hunting/trail rigs.

All that being said to HELL with the newer stuff! Scotty is funny, but his videos do get annoying and he often doesn’t actually give much real info lol.

I also agree with the statements here about any manufacture vehicle lasting IF it’s well taken care of… that’s the key, taking care of it. Try shopping for used boats!

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have heard that the new Toyota Tundra with the Twin Turbo V6 is a nightmare. The Turbos go out at 6 to 15K Miles, to replace them the cab needs to be removed. Has anyone heard or experienced the same?

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Die hard Toyota nut here! All my wife and I have driven for 13yrs now. Her family pretty much also all drive older Toyotas. I prefer older stuff, favored is around the 1998-2006ish range. Absolutely prime years for the legendary Toyota reliability! So well built.. can be hard find nice ones in good condition though.

Got a 2005 Camry with less than 77K miles. Don't really even want anything new to replace it! I bought it about 3 years ago with about 48K on the clock. I knew the owner, so I wasn't worried about the miles. Great car!! Would trust it to take me anywhere.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1982 Ford Mustang with 200" inline 6.
Nothing replaced except fluids and filters and brakes and tires for 300,000 miles.
Then starter went out.
I delivered Pizzq in that car and hauled lumber in it and a boat my 1975 bayliner was towed with it
many times.

Car body fell apart around the engine, trans and rearend.
376,000 miles it was parted out.
Drivetrain was just fine and still got 27MPG with NO overdrive and a carburetor.

You tell me the cars are better and I call BS.
Straight 6 Ford Or Datsun straight 6 for the win in reliability.

I will give much credit to my 1995 Toyota corolla as the interior and car has worn better than that Mustang and now has 362,000 miles on it.
The things I haul and the places i drive that 300,000 plus miles to me is impressive.

I feel most vehicles should go 300,000 miles easy if well maintained.
I don’t think that is a fair comparison, inline 6 from just about anybody were bullet proof. Toyota is no exception in this realm those straight sixes in the old land cruisers are legendary. Ford made some great inline 6’s , Nissan RB26 , Toyota 3FE, i always wondered why they have abandoned that bullet proof design. Rumor is Toyota might bring it back in the land cruiser but who can afford one of those.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve also heard that Toyota changed the coating on the wiring recently and mice are attracted to it.
I think someone posted a link on OSA about it. Something like a plant based insulation or the like. Gotta get away from those pesky petroleum products.

Latest posts

Top Bottom