Here’s Why Honda and Toyotas are Unreliable Now

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 2000 Lexus LX470 was just a prettied up land cruiser. I regret getting rid of that vehicle. One of only three vehicles I regret getting rid of. 250k on it when I sold it, solid machine, drove better than most newer vehicles. If the service records weren’t missing anything, then I’m pretty confident I replaced the original alternator on it. Only repair I ever had to make on it.

Fiancé liked “the beast” (what she called the LX470) that she ended up buying a Lexus IS250. We’ve had zero issues with it in two years. When it’s time, we’ll probably get her a 4Runner or a Lexus GX.

My dad drove a 73ish Toyota Corona Delux all over the US, and drove it for close to 10 years until he put his foot through the floorboard pulling into the drive. He would always talk about how he never had to repair anything on that car.

My grandma and her husband drove Toyota corollas and a 4runner for the last 30 years of their lives. Refused to own anything else.

I look forward to selling my Silverado and buying another land cruiser. I wouldn’t own a newer Honda If it was given to me. My 2014 accord 4 cylinder was meticulously maintained, yet at 60k miles it consumed 5 quarts of oil a month, My moms 2015 CRV does close to 5 quarts every 6 months. I wouldn’t mind owning a mid 90s or older civic hatchback or something though.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Maintenance and driver care/habits can make or break any brand imo. From Ford's, to Jeep to a couple of Pontiacs even they've all been good to us, nearly all of them at 300k-400k when we sold them.

Ford's 170, 200 and 300 straight 6cyl are tough to beat....old but as reliable as it gets.

Woodman 59

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t think that is a fair comparison, inline 6 from just about anybody were bullet proof. Toyota is no exception in this realm those straight sixes in the old land cruisers are legendary. Ford made some great inline 6’s , Nissan RB26 , Toyota 3FE, i always wondered why they have abandoned that bullet proof design. Rumor is Toyota might bring it back in the land cruiser but who can afford one of those.
With a V-6 auto-makers can shorten the hoods to make a bigger cab with more legroom.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I gave up on Honda and all the turbo crap, I loved the NA civics. I still have a 2018 civic. Brought an NA Toyota that I’m sure will last 15 or 20 years before I give it away.

My step-granddaughter (?🤣). Brought a 2015 civic on my recommendation and at 75000 miles lost the transmission, the OKC dealership (POS) supposed to have fixed it once towed again for a full service this time and after $700 they concluded she needed a full rebuild.

They claimed these newer transmissions start having issues at 100k miles ! She went against my recommendation and got the 100k/ 6 year extended warranty (thank god).

she never got her $700 back and two tows. They replaced it with a new one. I kept calling as they were giving her the run around.

They had the nerve to brag Honda stood by their products. She told them Honda didn’t give me crap, the only reason they replaced it was the extended warranty that cost me $2000 extra!🥶

Okie_dave

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Love Toyota/ Lexus - still have these

08 GX470
05 LS430
04 LX470

81 FJ60
76 FJ40
66 FJ40

Have had 2 Civics and 1 Accord.
95 Accord 4 cylinder 5 spd was one of the best I ever owned.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Love Toyota/ Lexus - still have these

08 GX470
05 LS430
04 LX470

81 FJ60
76 FJ40
66 FJ40

Have had 2 Civics and 1 Accord.
95 Accord 4 cylinder 5 spd was one of the best I ever owned.
Agree with you on the Toyota’s and those 90s Honda’s. With the 5speed they were fun to drive and had a great feel.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had 3 toyota camrys and 2 honda accords that were all reliable.If i can find a clean low mileage camry or accord before they went to CVT transmissions and turbos i would buy one of each.A friend that is a honda mechanic told me reliability for honda and toyota has went to crap since the turbos have become standard.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If someone is mechanical or wants a to pay a mechanic to fix it, any vehicle can last a lifetime.

But I think, Toyotas are the best engineered vehicle on the road.
If your priority is the absolute least amount of parts replacement, gotta be. I have a Tacoma that’s over 20 years old. I don’t understand how it needs nothing and it’s been well used. Pulled boats. Some light off-roading. Sunk in mud. It’s never even had an alignment. Drives straight. No changes. No new parts. But I just started having an issue. The key is worn out!

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your priority is the absolute least amount of parts replacement, gotta be. I have a Tacoma that’s over 20 years old. I don’t understand how it needs nothing and it’s been well used. Pulled boats. Some light off-roading. Sunk in mud. It’s never even had an alignment. Drives straight. No changes. No new parts. But I just started having an issue. The key is worn out!
I had a 2012 Tacoma TRD Off-road. I put 90k miles on it with no issues. Just oil changes every 5k and a set of tires. Sold it for $4k less than what I paid for it in 2017 and that was before the insane inflation.
The wife drives a 4Runner that we bought new with 93k miles on it. Same thing, oil changes and tires.

Latest posts

Top Bottom