HEY GUYS!! What do you want to know how to do that you don't know how to do now??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Suturing really isnt hard. Be as clean as possible, tie good knots. I learned when i got on a ship, litterally hundreds of times in 2 years. Other than sterile tecnique it was all do it yourself OJT.

Had to have help with traumatic amputations, open fractures and emergency appendectomies, but i think i could still get er done.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wanted to learn canning
How to butcher small game/chicken
Plant identification

I have started my garden and learned a lot,
My water collection will be up next week for winter rains

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wanted to learn canning
How to butcher small game/chicken
Plant identification

I have started my garden and learned a lot,
My water collection will be up next week for winter rains

If you have the birds, I can "pull and pluck" as my dad used to say ...

(Pull their heads off and pluck their feathers ... LOL)

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Addressing the fire, I have 143 one match campfires fires in a row so far. Easiest is one sheet of wadded up newspaper, but you can use dry leaves. Make a Te-Pee of 4-5 inch 1/4 inch dia dry twigs all around it and get it started. As soon as it gets flaming add to your Te-Pee with 1/2-3/4 5-6 inch dry twigs. Keep progressing up on the outside, do not stir. At times you will think you have put it out, be patient it will re-ignite. In 20-30 minutes you will have worked up to 3 inch logs, then it is time to push over and use the heat. All fires need two logs on the bottom about an inch apart with one on the top. Keep progressing up in size. I have burnt several 12-14 inch logs this way. One match to light one evening, cooked over the same fire the next evening.

I would like to learn how to make a fire in under an hour!!! I can do it but not nearly as good as I would need in an emergency situation. I would also like to learn to throw edged weapons, especially a tomahawk. There's more but those are my top 2

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like to learn about Ham radios/communications, Long range shooting class, speed drills, tan hides, hydroponics, manufacture my own b powder, refine my gardening techniques, appleseed class, machining, gunsmithing, braiding with paracord, wouldnt mind home brewing (although I dont drink, just think it would be a good SHTF skill)

Ham Radio is a unique hobby for reliable emergency communications anywhere you have 12VDC available. Spend a few $ (cheaper than buying manuals) at hamtestonline.com (you can do some of it for free to ck it out) Everything you need is on that site to get you ready to take the tests. With his "flashcard" system, in about 10-15 hours study time you will be ready to pass your Technicians license test (Tech, General, and Extra are available) You will need a radio and antenna. Like everything, how fast do you want to go? $250-300 will get you on the air easily locally with a 2meter rig in a 50 mile or so radius. The general class and a $350-500 HF used radio and a minimal long wire antenna will get you most of the US and a few other countries at times. A better antenna system will get you world wide. Extra class gets you a few more frequencies to talk on and a little more status. PM me if you have additional questions. Tests are given every few weeks somewhere in the Tulsa area. WB5Y Ken

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ham Radio is a unique hobby for reliable emergency communications anywhere you have 12VDC available. Spend a few $ (cheaper than buying manuals) at hamtestonline.com (you can do some of it for free to ck it out) Everything you need is on that site to get you ready to take the tests. With his "flashcard" system, in about 10-15 hours study time you will be ready to pass your Technicians license test (Tech, General, and Extra are available) You will need a radio and antenna. Like everything, how fast do you want to go? $250-300 will get you on the air easily locally with a 2meter rig in a 50 mile or so radius. The general class and a $350-500 HF used radio and a minimal long wire antenna will get you most of the US and a few other countries at times. A better antenna system will get you world wide. Extra class gets you a few more frequencies to talk on and a little more status. PM me if you have additional questions. Tests are given every few weeks somewhere in the Tulsa area. WB5Y Ken

I gotta say that I've been studying that *$*(@Q#& manual for 7 weeks now and I was still clueless ... Enrolled in the hamtestonly.com program and wish I'd just found that and done it first. I dunno if it's just geared to the way I learn or what, but I've learned more in less than 3 hours on that site than I have in 7 weeks of class and studying the manual an hour or so 5 nights a week.

Latest posts

Top Bottom