HEY GUYS!! What do you want to know how to do that you don't know how to do now??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drebin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I want to be able to ID plants. What I can eat, what I can't eat, and what I could eat but wouldn't want to or shouldn't. Also how to treat injuries with a basic kit in the woods weeks or months away from civilization, just cause you never know. If I could treat a wound or dig a bullet out in those conditions and survive then in more normal conditions it would be a peice of cake.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to be able to ID plants. What I can eat, what I can't eat, and what I could eat but wouldn't want to or shouldn't. Also how to treat injuries with a basic kit in the woods weeks or months away from civilization, just cause you never know. If I could treat a wound or dig a bullet out in those conditions and survive then in more normal conditions it would be a peice of cake.

I just bought a couple of books at Red Dawn last night on Foraging and Wild Gardening. I'll have to look see who the author is ...

As far as "digging out bullets" with a first aid kit, I'm here to tell you that more likely than not you're not gonna survive. And what time you have left on this earth won't be pleasant. Same thing with certain types of wounds. Modern medicine, indeed, performs miracles ... but it's the "modern" part of that phrase that makes it so.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hunt. I haven't been hunting since I was a kid, and even then it was just me calling them in for my dad. I'm thinking about going spring turkey this year if I can convince the Mrs. to let me, lol

Drebin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I just bought a couple of books at Red Dawn last night on Foraging and Wild Gardening. I'll have to look see who the author is ...

As far as "digging out bullets" with a first aid kit, I'm here to tell you that more likely than not you're not gonna survive. And what time you have left on this earth won't be pleasant. Same thing with certain types of wounds. Modern medicine, indeed, performs miracles ... but it's the "modern" part of that phrase that makes it so.

You're probably right about digging out a bullet in the wild with basic gear and luckily the chances I'd be in such an extreme situation are very little to none. But some basic field medicine type stuff would be good to know. In reality if I could survive a few days and still walk I could probably find some help. I don't think I'll ever be that far out from civilization anyway. Just a neat skill I'll likely never use. Let me know what you think of that book and who the author is. I might just have to pick up a copy.

Also building my own solar generator would be cool, I've not thought of that one before. Wonder just how hard it would be and how expensive? May look more into that later.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is not much left on my want to learn list for this year.

I wanted to start brewing beer and that is in process!! Will be bottling next week and then a 2 week wait to see if it's tasty.
I wanted to learn to and build an AR. Have built 1 and have two waiting to be built.
I wanted to learn to make kydex holsters. This, I hope to actually get going in the next week. I have all the supplies.....kydex, press, rivets, ect... just havent gotten around to making any yet. Have reformed old holsters to fit new guns, but not made any new ones yet.
I wanted to learn to reload, have been doing that all year long and love it.

I will wait till next year to add new wants to the list.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're probably right about digging out a bullet in the wild with basic gear and luckily the chances I'd be in such an extreme situation are very little to none. But some basic field medicine type stuff would be good to know. In reality if I could survive a few days and still walk I could probably find some help. I don't think I'll ever be that far out from civilization anyway. Just a neat skill I'll likely never use. Let me know what you think of that book and who the author is. I might just have to pick up a copy.

Also building my own solar generator would be cool, I've not thought of that one before. Wonder just how hard it would be and how expensive? May look more into that later.

They are: The Forager's Harvest and Nature's Garden, both by Samuel Thayer

The first title was published in 2006, the second (which is in addition to, not a rehash of the 2006 book) was published in 2010; both by Forager's Harvest Press. I'd bet my bottom dollar you can find them on Amazon, maybe even Kindle. I bought my copies at Red Dawn because I like to try and buy something everytime I go in there -- just to help Gaylon out ...

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Process game
Effectively use solar power
Effectively use wind power
Gasification
Weld
Blacksmith

To name a few. Things I have taught myself this year:

First garden
Canning (things from the garden)
Brewed 10 gallons of beer, 10 gallons of wine, and 6 gallons of mead. A lot easier than I thought it was going to be, to be honest.

A couple of us guys from work started meeting together every other Tuesday to learn something new. A preppers group if you will. The first couple meetings were B.S. sessions where everyone was showing off what they had. (B.O.B's, weapons, etc) We are finally doing what we set out to do. For instance, I was in the military (infantry) and am pretty well versed in weapon manipulation and land nav. So I will be teaching the fellas in those areas. I will also, be teaching them how to do the above things that I learned this past year. Others are knowledgeable in other areas and will be teaching the rest of us. You get the idea. Of course, there are areas where none of us have knowledge. So, we will be learning as a group on those (solar, wind, gasification, etc). We figured it would be best if 2 people would do a lot of research on a certain subject and help explain it to the group. Too many chiefs makes for a bad "class". We haven't got to this part yet, but I hope it goes well. We are still in the early stages of the get-together's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom