Hi-point any good?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hk7686

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've got quite a few hi-point laying around, first handgun I ever owned was a hi-point, and I still own it. I have had them jam but it's because I load em up and then fire them as fast as I possibly can(haven't bumpfired em but seen it done.) the one I've had the most trouble with is the .380 it seems to jam more often than the others and as I said only when being fired very very fast. the are ugly, and too big for CC, even the .380 is larger than most .45's. they are very accurate, I have the ghost rings that come with em fitted on mine, and my groups have always been pretty consistent at 10-20 yards, for the respective ranges. I've heard a few rumors of hi-point blowing up, but only when I'm in a high end gun store and the dealer is trying to convince someone not to buy the cheap gun and invest his money in a para ordnance or a kimber, or a Insert Name Brand here. I personally enjoy plinking with them, I want to get ahold of a couple of the carbines, 1 in each caliber, both in the camo as the hi-point black just makes it look like a toy. I did fire 1 of the carbines once and even bump fired it with no jams.

So all in all I think they are stable guns, more or less for someone who is a recreation shooter, or on a very very very tight budget.

If you're gonna buy one for self defense your only good bet is the .380 and I still say it's far too big for CC. all hi-point pistols weight a TON. the .40cal and .45 both weigh like 36 ouces....that's ridiculous for a poly pistol.

anyways I stand by em as good guns only gun snobs say that they are totally junk, in fact if somebody wants to get rid of their carbines or 9mm, .45 or .40 hi-points let me know first, I will take them, as I have plenty of friends who don't have firearms that would enjoy playing with them at the range, I'm sick of having to share my good guns with em.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi-Points...hmmmmm...interesting weapon.
Reliable? Yes.
Accurate? Yes.
Cumbersome? Yes.
Heavy? Yes.
Cheap? Yes.
Seriously Ugly? HELL YES. These guns didn't miss a single branch when they fell out of the Ugly Tree.

John Zane

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont own one, and belive you get what you pay for. I have seen several not make it through a 50 round Conceal Carry Class. That being said I have also seen several high end guns not make it either. I have fired 1 in 9mm and 1 in 45. I would like to try a 9mm carbine.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never shot one of their pistols. I do however have a 9mm carbine. I have had it for several years. It is the absolute worst craftsmanship I have ever seen on a firearm. My son actually has toy guns that are built better. That being said I have been unable to make the carbine jam. It shoots everytime, and is dead on accurate within 150 yds with a terrible trigger. lol I actually love it and one day I might buy an aftermarket stock for it. Nah prolly not.

Same for me. I have the carbine and took it all down to clean it the other day. The materials and workmanship are not good at all. But the thing is a blast and behaves quite well. Fortunately I got mine used and it already had the aftermarket stock on it so it is not so hard on the eyes. Most Hi-Points have a face only a mother could love.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gal had 1 at the ccw class I was at, jammed every 5 rds of fire. She may not have a good grip & limpped it. It sure slowwwed things down:nono2:

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont own one, and belive you get what you pay for. I have seen several not make it through a 50 round Conceal Carry Class. That being said I have also seen several high end guns not make it either. I have fired 1 in 9mm and 1 in 45. I would like to try a 9mm carbine.

John, are you going to be at USSA on Sunday? If so I'll bring one.

shootinpreacher48

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have a friend who has a Sig 226 and a high point, and the high point is more accurate and reliable then the sig, now the sig is only a two years old, and since 2003 sig has really went down hill, so not saying much. i have had good and bad with highpoints, so do not expect too much. but they have lifetime warrenty no questions asked, and out of all the cheap guns highpoint would be the only way to go.

that is why they make so many guns so each person may have whatever they want, "to each his own".

Latest posts

Top Bottom