High fencing rules

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The landowner on one side of my lease has put up an 8' high fence. I don't know if it's complete yet. The deer used to cross the property lines on a regular basis. After the fence was up, they would try to clear the fence. The results were not pretty. Anyway, the rich dude (you all know him) bought a property that was under some kind of conservation easement. Lots of deer. There are still plenty of deer to go around; but things have changed.
I haven't checked w/ game comm. yet; does anybody know if there are any rules/regs. on highfences?

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think there is much you can do legally. Were you killing deer and talking about it? I know some of these people think they own the deer and will purposly high fence one side if they think someone is not "managing the herd" properly. It's a bunch of BS, but it is their land.

I hate to hear that it happened to you, but they are probably well withintheir rights unfortunatley.

DrTurkenstein

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

Osage48

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe the 58" is in reference to the maximum height of a 3 or 4 wire barb wire fence. I don't think it the maximum allowable height of fence.

handlebar

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was thnking about some high fence for some property. Every time the deer get close to a neighbors fence they are shot at. I know i don't owne the deer, but when you have 2500 acres and some jerk buys a 40 acre peice for a housing development that borders your land and hunt only on the fence kinda pisses me off. shooting deer is not the hardest thing in the world but i would think that they would get tired of it. But their not and adding new people every year due to the deer that they kill. or the deer that we have killed.

DrTurkenstein

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe the 58" is in reference to the maximum height of a 3 or 4 wire barb wire fence. I don't think it the maximum allowable height of fence.

I'm not a fence law expert, I'm just going off what I've read. Barbed wire must between 54 and 58" however other types of fences can only be 54". The second link also says that besides rail and wire fences other types may be authorized if deemed by the "fence viewers" to be equivalent. But it must still meet the 16" and 54" requirement. Here is that note:

" Please note: Another kind of fence may also qualify, if it
is deemed equivalent by a group of fence viewers to a fence
built with the above specifications (see definition of fence
viewers in the following section). Still, the lowest or bottom rail,
wire, or board shall not be more than 20 or less than 16 inches
from the ground, and the fence must be 54 inches in height."

Definition of "fence viewer": The fence viewers are a group of disinterested freeholders (landowners) who arbitrate a fencing conflict. Each of the
two parties in the conflict appoints a viewer, and the two viewers they appoint are responsible for appointing a third viewer.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm no fence expert either, but what I get from the laws isn't "it must be like this" more like laws outlining "partnership fencing." So if I want to build a high fence between our properties I can, but I can't ask you for half of the cost of the high fence, only half of these guidelines. Just my interpretation.

DrTurkenstein

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since neither of us are experts and our interpretations don't mean squat in court, I emailed the state to get an official answer. Hopefully that will benefit the OP and will keep this from becoming a battle of "I think".

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The landowner on one side of my lease has put up an 8' high fence. I don't know if it's complete yet. The deer used to cross the property lines on a regular basis. After the fence was up, they would try to clear the fence. The results were not pretty. Anyway, the rich dude (you all know him) bought a property that was under some kind of conservation easement. Lots of deer. There are still plenty of deer to go around; but things have changed.
I haven't checked w/ game comm. yet; does anybody know if there are any rules/regs. on highfences?

I'm sure you're talking about Garth. He's got about 2600 acres there. I'm pretty sure the fence rules that have been posted are in regards to split rail and barbed wire fence rules that came about when open range ended. There can't be a rule regarding how high or what type of fence you want to put around your own property. Sucks for you, but you know going up against Garth is going to be a no-win for you.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I'll be.....I've been building fence for lots of years and didn't know of any ordinance.
So When I lived in town for awhile using a 6' double privacy fence, I was in violation of the law?
I just wonder who came up with that ordinance?

Latest posts

Top Bottom