High fencing rules

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I'll be.....I've been building fence for lots of years and didn't know of any ordinance.
So When I lived in town for awhile using a 6' double privacy fence, I was in violation of the law?
I just wonder who came up with that ordinance?

That's what I'm saying. It HAS to be some specific ruling regarding fencing to keep in livestock and/or regarding only rail or barbed wire fencing. It can't be in regards to all fencing. Otherwise, how could anyone even sell 6 foot chainlink or privacy fence?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's what I'm saying. It HAS to be some specific ruling regarding fencing to keep in livestock and/or regarding only rail or barbed wire fencing. It can't be in regards to all fencing. Otherwise, how could anyone even sell 6 foot chainlink or privacy fence?

I agree, but again there is a law against carrying a knife of a certain length of blade. All of us hunters/Fishers are in violation of that law. You can buy any of them at walmart.
I don't know what the length is, but its pretty short. So if we carry a Buck Hunter knife, like I do, I'm in violation when hunting. If I have a fillet knife in my tackle box that is the common 7-8" long, I'm in violation.
I've been checked by lots of game wardens, with my knife on my hip, or in my tackle box, and not an eyebrow has been raised.

I guess laws are laws, but if we have to live under laws, shouldn't they apply to everybody equally?
I know if a gang banger is found with a fillet knife, he gets busted, but if a fisher person is found with one, its just a tool.

I need somebody to explain this thinking to me so I will understand.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not Garth Brooks. I did see him and Trisha at the grocery store last week though.
From what I've seen, a whitetail buck could probably clear a 6' foot fence. They won't clear an 8' one (chain link).

I was just wondering what right somebody has to confine wild animals to their property, even if it is a few hundred acres.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Although I don't necessarily agree with high fences, as a land owner, I don't feel that my neighbor, local law enforecement, state or federal government or ANYONE has the right to tell me what kind of fence I can or cannot put up. I am a free man. That land was bought and paid for by me. Keep your ass off of it. If you don't like it, so what, don't put up a big fence on your land. I am so sick of unnecessary laws and the government sticking its nose in the citizen's private affairs where it does not belong. Any place that high fences is more than likely going to be out in BFE, where law and city ordinances should not reach.

But... I think high fences are retarded. Especially some of these "gaming ranches" that high fence 200 acres and call that sporting. Now the big ranches that are a few thousand acres high fenced, that is a lot of land to cover and game actually has a sporting chance. I can understand the desire to do that. But to each his own. Neighbors may not like it, I wouldn't either. It can work both ways though, may keep deer on your property and off of theirs.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I've seen, a whitetail buck could probably clear a 6' foot fence. They won't clear an 8' one (chain link).

I was hunting near Denton about 15 years ago on a "retired" game ranch. still had the high fence, but broke down in half a dozen places on a section of land. anyway, I jump this doe and it clears the 10' fence barely clipping the top with it's back hoof. really pissed me off, I was braced up ready to drop her when she stopped at the fence.
Maybe Texas deer are the only ones with a vertical leap that would challenge most Olympic pole vaulters.

Latest posts

Top Bottom