Hog kill 22Lr

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A co-worker once told me that he does not process any wild feral hog above 125 LBS and prefers the 75-100 LB hog. He will help eradicate the population by killing the larger hogs and feeding the other wild animals and birds. He called it re-cycling.

Sounds like a reasonable approach to me . . .

wolfkpr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any hog, once quartered, we soak two days- for each cooler of meat add 1/2 cup of vinegar, and one of the little round bottles of lemon juice, after two days drain all that ice water and it will be very red.. draws most of the smell/etc out of the meat.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot one this evening that was on the move. However all I had was a Sig p365 loaded w/hst 147gr. I'm not sure where I hit it when I heard the thud but I do know it didn't seem to bother it.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot one this evening that was on the move. However all I had was a Sig p365 loaded w/hst 147gr. I'm not sure where I hit it when I heard the thud but I do know it didn't seem to bother it.
You may have hit the pig in the shield, and if so, may not have gotten penetration with the 9mm. Shot placement is the key. I prefer head shots, but since my ultimate goal is keeping pigs from rooting up my place, a gut shot does the job too. I’ve killed pigs with a 9mm but prefer a 45. Mainly because I just prefer a 1911 in 45.:thumb:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Retriever is right, shot placement is key. I have seen hogs go a long ways with guts hanging out from a 45-70 wound but likewise have seen hogs melt into a pile with something as small as a .22lr.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree 100% on shot placement. The rest of my story is that I was doing some field ranging and out of the corner of my eye I see a pig running toward me. Shot placement is a little harder in that situation. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom