Home/Auto Insurance question for the Experts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You get no special treatment for being loyal to them and you don’t build up any credit with them for longevity.
Ain’t that the truth. I was with Allstate for over 35 years. Moving to Oklahoma they wanted to almost double my homeowners for a house that was 1/3 the cost of the one I left. Went with Geico who put me in a policy that made sense.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Homeowner policies make zero money and typically are a loss for the insurance company. Auto, life and umbrella is where they typically make a profit.

They want to “punish” you for only having homeowners by the extra premium. I recommend you have all your policies with one company, it is cheaper for you.
I would have to disagree on not making any money on home policy. If i would initially asked for car insurance it would have been high until I added a home policy. Its just the opposite

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve been in claims for going on 25 years.

Law of large numbers. When you got your quote the insurer was needing more auto exposure in your area (usually by state) and so they are encouraging you to insure your autos with them.
If I would asked for car insurance first then added home would your answer be the same as they are encouraging me to add my home.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would have to disagree on not making any money on home policy. If i would initially asked for car insurance it would have been high until I added a home policy. Its just the opposite
I have been to a lot of company trainings and marketing meetings on this stuff. That is what my old company always said and it was something along the lines of "we only sell property insurance to get the auto policy". This was a top three carrier in the state at the time.

Maybe it has changed since then as it has been a couple of years.

tiasman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I would asked for car insurance first then added home would your answer be the same as they are encouraging me to add my home.

Yup they want the auto a lot more than the home. Like someone else said, when you bundle you are more likely to stay “loyal” and renew year after year because most think it’s a pain to switch.

It’s not.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup they want the auto a lot more than the home. Like someone else said, when you bundle you are more likely to stay “loyal” and renew year after year because most think it’s a pain to switch.

It’s not.
Thats what im learning its not that difficult to switch. Couple more things ive ran into dealing with quotes. When an insurer ask what are you paying now I just give them my coverage declaration and refuse to say what my current premium is. Some act like can look it up. They may see who your current insurer is but I dont think they can see your premium.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been in claims for going on 25 years.

Law of large numbers. When you got your quote the insurer was needing more auto exposure in your area (usually by state) and so they are encouraging you to insure your autos with them.

Insurance actuaries are a brutal analytical bunch and few of their decisions will make sense to an individual insured.

Actuaries are void of feelings, they only believe in numbers which is why they will exclude your precious pitbull “that would never hurt anyone”, because the large numbers say that doggie is not profitable to insure.

It’s never personal with insurance and if you can deal with them without emotional attachment you can keep your costs down and coverages up. I’ve never used the same company more than 2 years in a row in 25 years, I ruthlessly shop around every year for the best rates with the best coverages, and so should you.

You get no special treatment for being loyal to them and you don’t build up any credit with them for longevity. Any disappearing deductibles and other stuff you think you are getting, you are being charged a premium for. It’s all marketing.

The policies are governed by the Oklahoma dept of insurance and are mostly all the same. There are some small differences so you should always read the policy BEFORE you buy it.

While people should shop around, they also take note of a company that is known for paying their claims. Sometimes the constant race to the bottom doesn't always work out.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So far ive learned that if you have a home that needs insured add a bogus car to the policy and get a cheaper rate for the home and car that you dont own.

Latest posts

Top Bottom