Home/Auto Insurance question for the Experts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While people should shop around, they also take note of a company that is known for paying their claims. Sometimes the constant race to the bottom doesn't always work out.
I’ve stayed with Shelter for several years now after State Farm ran my whole family off (crazy rate hikes and an agent that was definitely doing things to benefit himself and not the customer).
My shelter agent is also a friend, and he earns my business by helping out when things go wrong, and finding ways to get a good rate depending on the situation. He will also make sure claims get taken care of if an issue arises. I can’t say if shelter is the best deal for my money or not, but I know my agent is.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone know how far back an insurer can see who you have been with? In other words have you been switching every year or so versus been with an insurer for 10 years.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve stayed with Shelter for several years now after State Farm ran my whole family off (crazy rate hikes and an agent that was definitely doing things to benefit himself and not the customer).
My shelter agent is also a friend, and he earns my business by helping out when things go wrong, and finding ways to get a good rate depending on the situation. He will also make sure claims get taken care of if an issue arises. I can’t say if shelter is the best deal for my money or not, but I know my agent is.
That can be a big plus for insurance. I had a great agent with AAA at one time until they got promoted to better things.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently ran into a weired one with Hime Insurance. Bought a piece of property with an older home, while getting the title work, city re zone and lot split it had the roof totaled. They are replacing roof.

I had called about insurance before closing, the quote went up and the insurance co stated the claim from before my ownership caused it to raise! I called ********! My insurance company was different from the prior owners.

Now the insurance commissioner is involved. It’s like buying a car and it was wrecked and repaired by the previous owners and the new owner is charged an inflated premium. They will try anything to get your money!

This is the first hime I have insured a Home in my life. I’m old now and cannot replace the roofs, or rebuild a home that was damaged. But we lived our entire married life not insuring any of the homes we have built or bought/remodeled, 23 different ones.

Last edited:

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had USAA for over 12 years and never filed. claim. Then we had a hail storm and I filed and they paid lickety-split. But...they increased my rates over $1,000 per year so I redlined them and went to AAA for far less than USAA. I know, AAA will raise rates next year and I'll shop around again. USAA and AAA aren't the only insurance companies in town. If I have a legitimate claim, they have to pay up because that is what they've agreed to and if they don't well, theres always a lawyer somewhere looking for work.
But I don't think it'll go that far, I doubt if I'll have claim.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had USAA for over 12 years and never filed. claim. Then we had a hail storm and I filed and they paid lickety-split. But...they increased my rates over $1,000 per year so I redlined them and went to AAA for far less than USAA. I know, AAA will raise rates next year and I'll shop around again. USAA and AAA aren't the only insurance companies in town. If I have a legitimate claim, they have to pay up because that is what they've agreed to and if they don't well, theres always a lawyer somewhere looking for work.
But I don't think it'll go that far, I doubt if I'll have claim.

This the exact kind of scenario I'm speaking of lol....

USAA is known for being VERY good with claims vs AAA, which got in a bit of trouble with the state a few years back.

You switch with AAA and end up having a homeowners claim and it likely will cost you 1000 that you saved.

Latest posts

Top Bottom