Home Protection until I know how to shoot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked through this thread and was surprised there was no suggestion to carry a small fixed blade knife. I'm no expert, so a quotation lifted from https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?1824-knife-question&highlight=fixed+blade+knife seems to be in order:

"dagger, bowie knife, dirk knife, switchblade knife, spring-type knife, sword cane, knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife"

As long as its not one of these, it's legal to carry.

I carry the Shivworks Clinch Pick or Disciple or the Ka-Bar TDI model depending on my attire. These are all single-edge, small, legal fixed blades.

Its commonly known what a Bowie is and none of these knives could be mistaken for one. A dagger or dirk has two sharpened sides. since they are fixed blades, none is opened at all much less by any spring.

The catch-all is the phrase "any other offensive weapon". To prove this, a court would have to establish intent for the weapon to be used offensively if its not in any of these catagories and I would gladly fight that battle. If you are concerned about being lumped into this group, a folder would be illegal too, which I'm confident couldn't be prosecuted without intent.

As far as owning a switchblade, that's fine. The laws relate to carrying not possession. You can own a Blackjack or Sap or any of the other devices mentioned and lawfully use them in self-defense in your home.

You just can't carry them concealed.

Michael Brown

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see you're in Edmond. Since it's not too far call Will Andrews at H&H range and explain your situation. Then go take a private class with him, his rates are very reasonable. He gives great training and he'll get you started off right with a weapon that works for you instead of the latest tacticool mega blaster.

+1,000

Will is a great guy. When I was getting divorced in the 1990s, I spent A LOT of time there in the evenings with him, and a now deceased range rat named James. I am certain that time spent there with them kept me from going completely insane. It was a terrible time. He is patient, and a straight shooter in every way. Go to him. Go now.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see you're in Edmond. Since it's not too far call Will Andrews at H&H range and explain your situation. Then go take a private class with him, his rates are very reasonable. He gives great training and he'll get you started off right with a weapon that works for you instead of the latest tacticool mega blaster.

This times eleventy billion.

Will is the perfect instructor for this type of situation...all the knowledge and abilities without the chest beating tacti-cool range warrior attitude.

I've seen him start a class with a woman who had zero experience with a shotgun and by the end of class she was shredding targets with a smile on her face.

(and he won't break the bank either...his organized classes are very reasonable. Not sure how much private lessons are.)

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked through this thread and was surprised there was no suggestion to carry a small fixed blade knife. I'm no expert, so a quotation lifted from https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?1824-knife-question&highlight=fixed+blade+knife seems to be in order:

Seeing the Shivworks CP mentioned shocked me, due to except for a relatively small group this isn't a very well known option. Then I saw the Michael Brown signature and was like yep part of that group.

While I totally agree with this for carry, and Mike knows his chit.(glad to see he's a member here as well, he's the guy that gave me the info about Triton FC on another forum). The shiv CP and TDI are great tools as well.

I would argue she would have to get too close to the intruder. Not knowing her H2H skill level, I would try to keep her as far away from the BG as possible.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
She is 11. She just got a BB gun for Christmas and she loves it. My brother-in-law is getting her in a kids safety course and then she wants to go deer hunting this year. Growing up with a father that didn't want me to do anything but dance it is pretty amazing that my little girl is so stinkin' cool. We will be going through much of this together since she is shooting a BB gun at her dads and I have no idea how much he pushes the safety.

Before you go spending a lot of money on classes and guns, get with me. I don't have my certifications any more, so I don't charge to help folks out, but I was an NRA Instructor, an USPSA RO and helped teach the conceal carry classes when I worked at H&H, so even if I'm "just a gurl" :wink2: (and a biased one, at that :D) I'm still no slouch ... LOL

You and Rick gather her up and holler at me when you hit H&H ... If GC is working I'll still come out and bring what we have so you can try out some different guns. I have a stock Shield that is really GREAT ... Easy to conceal, nice crisp trigger, not much recoil ... I think you might like it ...

Try to make it an "off" time if you can so we don't have to fight the crowd ...

missyoakley

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before you go spending a lot of money on classes and guns, get with me. I don't have my certifications any more, so I don't charge to help folks out, but I was an NRA Instructor, an USPSA RO and helped teach the conceal carry classes when I worked at H&H, so even if I'm "just a gurl" :wink2: (and a biased one, at that :D) I'm still no slouch ... LOL

You and Rick gather her up and holler at me when you hit H&H ... If GC is working I'll still come out and bring what we have so you can try out some different guns. I have a stock Shield that is really GREAT ... Easy to conceal, nice crisp trigger, not much recoil ... I think you might like it ...

Try to make it an "off" time if you can so we don't have to fight the crowd ...

Sounds great! I am thankful to get so much advice from everyone. I will definitely get together with you. I am sure if I went out and purchased everything in this post my daughter and other family members would think I was insane!
Thanks BB!

missyoakley

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to give a big shout out to everyone!!!

Thanks a bunch! I have so much to learn and everyone is so kind about sharing advice and experience.

Starting off 2014 with so many new people to be thankful for!

Alrighty, dry the eyes! haha

Latest posts

Top Bottom