Home Protection until I know how to shoot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Before you go spending a lot of money on classes and guns, get with me. I don't have my certifications any more, so I don't charge to help folks out, but I was an NRA Instructor, an USPSA RO and helped teach the conceal carry classes when I worked at H&H, so even if I'm "just a gurl" :wink2: (and a biased one, at that :D) I'm still no slouch ... LOL

You and Rick gather her up and holler at me when you hit H&H ... If GC is working I'll still come out and bring what we have so you can try out some different guns. I have a stock Shield that is really GREAT ... Easy to conceal, nice crisp trigger, not much recoil ... I think you might like it ...

Try to make it an "off" time if you can so we don't have to fight the crowd ...

The correct and only answer you need..

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The nice thing about a small fixed blade knife is that it can be carried pretty much all the time and having something on one's person is better than not. Especially in the case of a surprise encounter. A gun or spray can is no use if you don't have it when you need it.

Seeing the Shivworks CP mentioned shocked me, due to except for a relatively small group this isn't a very well known option. Then I saw the Michael Brown signature and was like yep part of that group.

While I totally agree with this for carry, and Mike knows his chit.(glad to see he's a member here as well, he's the guy that gave me the info about Triton FC on another forum). The shiv CP and TDI are great tools as well.

I would argue she would have to get too close to the intruder. Not knowing her H2H skill level, I would try to keep her as far away from the BG as possible.

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The nice thing about a small fixed blade knife is that it can be carried pretty much all the time and having something on one's person is better than not. Especially in the case of a surprise encounter. A gun or spray can is no use if you don't have it when you need it.

Agreed. I was more or less responding in relation to defending the home where she would be alerted to the intruder. Getting into out and about protection, a small fixed blade is always handy for the reasons you mentioned.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some years ago I bought an alarm from Radio Shack, it has a beam that crosses the garage and if someone walks through it it will emanate a very loud sound. Probable by the time you get out there the thugs will be gone and nothing missing.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Before you go spending a lot of money on classes and guns, get with me...

I'd be on this like a fat kid on a twinkie....

BB and her jack booted husband are good to go. BB might be a gurl with girl coodies and all that, but she'd be a great no-stress training option until you get the time/money/confidence to enroll in a formal class.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The obvious solution to me is to move in with Badge Bunny. The amount of estrogen alone in the house would scare off any man. Add a carrot top to the equation... dear baby Jesus!

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I say you get your butt trained ASAP.

There are plenty of fine people on here that would love to help you out.

Until then, how about a baseball bat, butcher knife, or a dog?

Yes. Get trained ASAP. An intruder is likely to take other instruments of self defense from her. Sometimes, intruders work in pairs.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Before you go spending a lot of money on classes and guns, get with me. I don't have my certifications any more, so I don't charge to help folks out, but I was an NRA Instructor, an USPSA RO and helped teach the conceal carry classes when I worked at H&H, so even if I'm "just a gurl" :wink2: (and a biased one, at that :D) I'm still no slouch ... LOL

You and Rick gather her up and holler at me when you hit H&H ... If GC is working I'll still come out and bring what we have so you can try out some different guns. I have a stock Shield that is really GREAT ... Easy to conceal, nice crisp trigger, not much recoil ... I think you might like it ...

Try to make it an "off" time if you can so we don't have to fight the crowd ...

Yes! I've shot with Badge Bunny and her Jack-Booted Husband, Glock Cop, as have many members here. BB is very knowledgeable, and even though she is just a chick, she knows a lot about guns and shooting. Plus, underneath that sweet, soft, sensitive personality, is a Momma Pit Bull ready to rip yer lips off and make you sleep in a dirt bed if need be. DO THIS and DO it ASAP.

Patti, I have a 642 J-Frame, and a soft shooting Sig P239 you can use that she might like to try out too if you wanna have some more options; holler at me when ya'll set this up and I'll bring them with me to work and you can just go get them out of my trunk and let her try them too. I'll send you my cell number in a PM.

fustigate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems like reinforcing your doors got mentioned, then dropped.

I'd like to add:
Invest in a light timer with a random on/off range (so it's not always coming on at the same time).
This only helps against the casual casing of the house (someone in the neighborhood could easily keep track of if you'd pulled in/out of the garage).
So build a good rapport with your neighbors.

You might also want to look into a LOUD external siren to rig into your house alarm so that, if you're not home, the neighbors will (hopefully) hear and get a look at the perp.

And (preparing for nearly the worst), take pix of things and record serial numbers for insurance.

I also don't think I saw any mention to overshooting, which is something you need to research and consider when thinking about buying a firearm and ammo with someone else in the house. This contentious topic has fueled many debates...

Latest posts

Top Bottom