Home Protection until I know how to shoot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missyoakley

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the panic button on my car! Plus the fire extinguisher! Excellent ideas that I have in my house now!
Thanks so much.

Fire extinguishers.... sprayed in the face. Large blast so accuracy is not as hard, holds a lot, can be used as a bat to hit them with, won't affect you if you run through it, dual purpose for fire control....

Keep your car keys next to the bed...hear a strange noise, set off the panic alarm on your car in the garage. If you live in a neighborhood, it will be heard to concern a prowler.....

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My daughter is my concern, I wouldn't want to shoot a gun without a bit of practice. Spraying pepper spray is ideal, just have to set up a safety plan with her so that she would never be in harms way if someone did intrude. I have a list going and I definitely plan on getting a very bright flashlight to start, then some spray. I just moved my large can of hairspray to my bedside until I go shopping for the real stuff this weekend!

How old is your daughter? I definitely suggest getting a plan of action together with her.

missyoakley

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
She is 11. She just got a BB gun for Christmas and she loves it. My brother-in-law is getting her in a kids safety course and then she wants to go deer hunting this year. Growing up with a father that didn't want me to do anything but dance it is pretty amazing that my little girl is so stinkin' cool. We will be going through much of this together since she is shooting a BB gun at her dads and I have no idea how much he pushes the safety.

How old is your daughter? I definitely suggest getting a plan of action together with her.

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
She is 11. She just got a BB gun for Christmas and she loves it. My brother-in-law is getting her in a kids safety course and then she wants to go deer hunting this year. Growing up with a father that didn't want me to do anything but dance it is pretty amazing that my little girl is so stinkin' cool. We will be going through much of this together since she is shooting a BB gun at her dads and I have no idea how much he pushes the safety.

Glad to hear that she's "older" and can understand and comprehend the instructions that you give her. I say get a plan together with her. Something like get in the closet until mommy comes to get you or get the neighbors involved.... Then it's get to the neighbors and have them call 911. Same thing with fires, this is if you have neighbors you can trust. But considering the letter you got regarding recent burglaries I'd assume you do.

If you need any specific help feel free to PM me.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me add a bit to the discussion about using a handgun. My wife is one that cannot use a rifle as she can't close the proper eye for aiming. When we went to do our concealed carry classes, she had never really fired a handgun, so she really had no experience at all. During the range portion of the training, I slipped away from my lane and walked down to hers. I looked over her shoulder and saw that she had a darn good shot pattern on the target. Made me think that I never wanted to argue with this woman.

After more years of shooting, she still cannot do well when "aiming" using the sights. However, when she just "points" the handgun at the target and "sights along the barrel/slide," she does very well. In fact, she probably has a better shot pattern than I have with trying to aim with the sights. Her experience has reinforced the comments that Louis L'Amour wrote in many of his western stories....a woman could pick up a handgun and just by pointing it, "shoot the bad guy to doll rags."

In a sense, this is to say that you shouldn't worry about adhering to the idea that one "has" to use the sights. As time goes on, you may very well get a lot more proficient with using the sights.

I also agree with the idea of taking your daughter for training as well. If nothing else, she will know how to handle a weapon safely.

Good luck.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Missy most of the suggestions here are good except for the wasp spray and flame thrower which you would not want to use in your home. :nono1:

Take a class or find a nice single guy that shoots at H&H for a burger and shooting date. (I am in so much trouble for that comment :D ) For home defense a 20ga shotgun would be a good choice for you and your daughter in case you are not home. When it warms up we will take a selection to the gun club for you to try.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Missy most of the suggestions here are good except for the wasp spray and flame thrower which you would not want to use in your home. :nono1:

Take a class or find a nice single guy that shoots at H&H for a burger and shooting date. (I am in so much trouble for that comment :D ) For home defense a 20ga shotgun would be a good choice for you and your daughter in case you are not home. When it warms up we will take a selection to the gun club for you to try.

Or smoke a joint and huff wasp spray, that usually helps my shot patterns.

BWahahahahahaha!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom