Honey Locust Thorns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have some Black Locust on my place. I think they spread underground, like Sumac and Aspens, and Bermuda grass. I think a grove of Locusts is all the same plant.
I believe you're correct. A fella told me that the sprouts come up from the roots of existing trees. I think that's where the Tordon comes into play. Paint the stump and it kills the root system.
Your both correct. They are like a rhizome. If you cut the root, you make three trees. The original and two more from the cut root.
Interestingly enough as a side note, Aspen tree groves in the mountains are basically one tree. They gather water when needed and if not needed, pass the excess to other trees in the grove that may need it. They are actually called the largest living organism in the world.
https://www.livescience.com/63852-failing-aspen-clone-utah.html

What's also interesting is that in the link above ^^^ the problem with declining aspens is deer. They eat the new shoots preventing the expansion of the groves. The very same folks that are lamenting the decline of aspen groves make efforts to shut down hunting so they have an interesting conundrum to consider. Control the deer or lose the aspens.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your both correct. They are like a rhizome. If you cut the root, you make three trees. The original and two more from the cut root.
Interestingly enough as a side note, Aspen tree groves in the mountains are basically one tree. They gather water when needed and if not needed, pass the excess to other trees in the grove that may need it. They are actually called the largest living organism in the world.
https://www.livescience.com/63852-failing-aspen-clone-utah.html

What's also interesting is that in the link above ^^^ the problem with declining aspens is deer. They eat the new shoots preventing the expansion of the groves. The very same folks that are lamenting the decline of aspen groves make efforts to shut down hunting so they have an interesting conundrum to consider. Control the deer or lose the aspens.

An interesting side note is that we were told that the California Redwoods actually "link" their roots together, thus making each individual tree stronger for standing tall by also using the roots of other Redwoods.

Latest posts

Top Bottom