How do I paint a rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlau90us

Marksman
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've never painted a rifle before but I have some components on a FDE rifle that I want to paint to FDE.

I've seen duracoating, but it seems like a pretty involved process. Would krylon spray paint work? What types and where can I buy them? What parts do I need to cover/remove before painting? Does the paint cause moving parts to stick?

Lots of questions, but I've never done it before and its kind of something that needs to be done right on the first try...

Wizard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know several ppl who have used high temp BBQ paint on their rifles and that works fine. It wont be as durable as dura or ceracoat but it works.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can actually use any paint you want providing you are not expecting it to last a lifetime.
Krylon for example could be expected to last a couple of years. Duracoat perhaps 4 or 5 years. Ceracoat should last 8 or more years as long as it is taken care of and not abused.

Paint will dampen moving parts, so either mask off moving surfaces or clean the paint off of mating surfaces before assembly.

Whenever possable disassemble parts and paint them while they are not in contact, otherwise you can get "bridging" of the paint or a capillary action which draws paint between the parts and glues them together.

Most importantly you must have the parts clean and degreased before painting or the paint will not stick, even fingerprints can cause paint failure so wear gloves. I use cheap disposable surgical type gloves.

Just take it one step at a time and you will be fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom