How do you keep your muzzleloader dry...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A trick some people use would be to unscrew the nipple and drop a few grains of your powder under it. Then screw it back in.

I have heard all kinds of stuff. Put a piece of electrical tape over the barrel and then use fingernail polish on the cap to seal off the places moisture could get in.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found these online.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...?r=view&i=402648&aID=503Y3&cID=FROOGLE_402648

I learned the effect of humidity on bp this season. I loaded in the field on a really humid morning, got a doe in sights and pop, only the cap went off. Guy I hunt with sealed his barrel end with bore butter. and kept the percussion cap on. His fired without a hitch. Mine on the 2nd try had a 1/2 sec to 1 sec hang fire. I hunt with a Kentucky Rifle.

My partner learned that lesson this year, I heard a pop from over where his stand was at, he didn't fire a cap to dry his breech out before loading, took 3 caps to get the charge to ignite and then he had a 1 second delay before it went boom.

I loaded mine up friday before going camping, snapped a 209 priner then charged the rifle and left the struck primer in place. covered the muzzle with a condom. It rained saturday, I hunted sunday and monday then fired mine before leaving the woods with no ignition delay on monday.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Amen Bro!:D

My breach seals water tight, and do my best to keep the muzzle pointed down.
As tight as the sabot and bullet press into the barrel, I'm thinking I could pour water into the barrel, and it wouldn't have a chance of getting to the powder.

I may have to try that one of these days just to see if my theory holds up.:D

Be very sure all the water is gone before you fire it. I know it's different, but with shotguns, if there is water in the barrel, just enough to wet the bore, nothing standing, it will sometimes burst the barrel.

I suspect all you would probably get with a wet bore is some overpressure. I suggest you don't try it. CB

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear condoms are going up in price so might want to look into the balloons! plastic bags with tape around barrel, condoms, balloons, extra bore butter, grease smeared around the cap, rubber hose, snapped cap, there are a mess of things that work well just have to use your imagination. Later,

Kirk

Latest posts

Top Bottom