How many of you are debt free? (Dave Ramsey stuff)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Been debt free since the late 90's. Its easy.
Don't buy what you can't afford, and pay all of your bills on time. Pay the house off early, and enjoy the ride.

Spoken like one who has a handle on finances. I still don't buy what I can afford, just what I need. Not only will I enjoy the ride but if I have grandkids the cycle of poverty, drug abuse and uneducation that plagued my family will end.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Spoken like one who has a handle on finances. I still don't buy what I can afford, just what I need. Not only will I enjoy the ride but if I have grandkids the cycle of poverty, drug abuse and uneducation that plagued my family will end.

I drive a 13 year old vehicle, and living in the country on total electric, have one bill to pay each month + cell phone and sat TV.

We do keep a new vehicle in the stable, but when we paid the last one off in 98, we kept making the payments into a savings account, and when we need a new one, we just write a check, and drive it off the lot.

Didn't need anybody to give us common sense.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have all but the remainder of my mortgage. Everything else I own outright. House should be paid in under 2 years.
yeah im pretty stoked.

That's pretty cool man and I applaud you. But for me, are you f-ing kidding? My wife and I have been married 5 years. We both ran like crazy from bad marriages and let our spouses have everything just to get rid of them. When we met each other and found out histories matched we knew we were made for each other. Happy as we can be and broke as hell. :). But we are going to pay our stuff off before we get really old.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Debt free since i was 40, raised 2 children own 3 homes now, was 4, sold one to a friend.
5 vehicles and a boat.. everything i got was cash and cheap! except for 2 houses.
Paid my first house off when i was 30, I was debt free then also.

I have a friend that tells me Dave Ramsey said this or that and states that is the same things i told him years ago.

Looking to get another home this year. maybe i will find a bargain, maybe not.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Less our mortgage, and adoption lawyer, we are almost debt free. It is going to take a few years to pay the remainder of our lawyer bill, a few small things we are almost done with, then we are only mortgage payers. Nice!

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only the mortgage remains for us. I'm quite familiar with Dave and we own a copy of the Total Money Makeover, but we aren't hardcore subscribers to all his ideas - I'd say we agree with him 90% of the time though. As others have stated there is no "one size fits all" path in personal finance. My wife teaches personal finance and I enjoy budgeting/number crunching/finance so we are constantly analyzing our situation, you form your own opinions when you do that. We still aren't where I'd like us to be given my age, but we make some good decisions.

I've seen some good books mentioned here so I'll toss out one of my favorites: The Wealthy Barber by David Chilton was one I really enjoyed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom