How many of you have gas ranges?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We vent to the outside, mainly because when we cook, the smoke detector sings us the song of their people.
Cooks hotter, faster.

Still have the electric oven though. Can't beat em.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do and no, I haven't been concerned should I be?

I'm tempted to believe I'd know if carbon monoxide were an issue around my gas range because my carbon monoxide alarm is all of 2-3 feet away from the range.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cook with gas both inside and out unless I have the smoker going, then it is just Hickory
Not worried about carbon monoxide because we vent .

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While not vented outside, our vent hood is huge & takes some pricey filters, maybe that's why it hasn't been an issue? I don't know.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gas ranges dont generally require any venting as long as they are operating properly. The flame need to be nice and blue. If your getting a lot of yellow or deep orange then you need to try to clean it and if that doesn't work then it needs to be serviced. A gas cook top is awesome to cook on. gas ovens on the other hand take a little getting used to. We have a gas convection range and a wall electric oven. best of all worlds

BallisticGuy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I cook with gas both inside and out unless I have the smoker going, then it is just Hickory
Not worried about carbon monoxide because we vent .
I thought the same thing until I was in my garage with a blow torch and almost passed out. Needless to say mine was not working correctly! I now test them with a torch.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gas ranges dont generally require any venting as long as they are operating properly. The flame need to be nice and blue. If your getting a lot of yellow or deep orange then you need to try to clean it and if that doesn't work then it needs to be serviced. A gas cook top is awesome to cook on. gas ovens on the other hand take a little getting used to. We have a gas convection range and a wall electric oven. best of all worlds

There is much here with which I agree. The wife and I have been married for just a couple of months shy of 44 years, and most of those years we had gas ranges and ovens. I've even been in the "gas business" as I used to haul LPG with a semi and deliver LPG with bobtail trucks. Part of that "delivery" job was to work with the ranges. For the most part, all I ever had to do was change thermocouples and convert one from LPG to natural gas or back the other way.

The wife prefers gas to electric because when the gas is turned off, there is little residual heat for a child to reach up and burn themselves on a burner. The gas works even during electrical outages, although if the oven is equipped with an electric ignition, it takes more to make them work. Wife also prefers cooking with gas over electric as it is easier to adjust the flame for cooking.

We've even preferred using gas clothes dryers over electric.

Latest posts

Top Bottom