How many of you have gas ranges?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy2000

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've got gas stove, heat and dryer in my current house. My first house was all electric. I made sure to buy gas on the second house. Electric for anything other than lights and TVs suck.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only thing electric on my stove is the clock, timer, and ignition. My oven is gas and just as easy as an electric to use, I turn the dial to the temp I want and presto. My range is as old as my house, which is 11 or 12 years old now, so it's not ultra modern or anything, so I'm curious why you say they're not as easy to use. I'm assuming older gas ranges aren't as easy?

Hopefully my ramblings will make sense and not drag on too long.

When you have used an electric oven and then go to gas there seems to be a learning curve. I'm not saying they are crap they just cook different. The gas version will cook faster and be prone to burning edges. The top rack on a lot of gas ovens is useless. Electric ovens are sealed and gas ovens are vented to some degree because of the needed vent to provide ample oxygen to the flame. When the gas oven is satisfied and no longer needs the flame, the vent continues and allows the heat stored in the oven to leak out

Another thing that many people dont know is that all gas ranges dont work and heat the same. some of the most common kinds are........
The oldest kind have a standing pilot. They are good because when the oven calls for heat they come right on to provide the needed heat when oven temperatures. Because of regulation standing pilot appliances have all but been phased out.
A newer kind usually found in less expensive ovens has a hot surface ignitor. The ignitor is wired in series with the gas valve and when energized heats up. Once it is at a point where it will light the gas determined (by the amount of current drawn through the valve coil and usually between 4-5 amps) it will light and make heat. This is the oven that most people gripe about. When the oven calls for heat it takes too long for it to come on causing heat swings. A flaw of this kind is that as the unit gets older the ignitor gets weak and takes even longer to get up to temperature.
A newer and better kind has spark ignition. This kind is found in more expensive units because it requires a controller to work that costs more. They come on quickly and cut off quickly. The newest ones also have two stage heat so they are less prone to scorch baked goods.

Some very high end gas ovens have electric damper on their vents to hold heat in better Other high end ranges have gas cooktops and electric ovens.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...But if someone had a problem with CO, would be be 'around' to post?

(humor ... sort of)

If I recall correctly CO is typically from a forced-combustion environment where there may not be enough oxygen to complete the combustion process.
A range doesn't usually fit this criteria. But I've been wrong plenty in the past.....

Last edited:

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Duel fuel for the win, gas cook top and electric convection oven, thats the one I am aiming for.

Latest posts

Top Bottom