How much are COWS worth???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is among the possibilities, but if you've never field dressed anything as big as a cow, that's gonna be more than a little problematic especially in this heat.

Not unless you've been an elk hunter. Dressing out a 1500 lb bull is a challenge, but not that bad really once one knows what to do.

probably a 1hr deal for me, but I've seen some do it faster.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis they are definitely a pain in the rear, I wouldn't mind putting them down myself either. Lol

There is quite a bit of interest for the cows, more than i expected that's for sure. I just learned that I have until the weekend before my grandpa is going to get them "dispatched" one way or another, hopefully an OSAer can get a good deal before then.

For the folks who called dibs in this thread, PMs, and phone calls all has been duly noted by the time stamp of first contact.

A lot of folks call dibs.
If you want to get serious, let me know.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is probably a processing plant in your area that would package one of the animals for your freezer for not to much.. you won't get a freezer full of beef any cheaper. I don't know what a cow would cost... but my local meat company will skin & process a deer [wrapping the cuts and grinding the meat as you wish] for approx. $110. As for the other 2, you might call the auction house, tell them your situation and ask if they know any buyers that might come make you a offer on site... and haul the animals away.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is probably a processing plant in your area that would package one of the animals for your freezer for not to much.. you won't get a freezer full of beef any cheaper. I don't know what a cow would cost... but my local meat company will skin & process a deer [wrapping the cuts and grinding the meat as you wish] for approx. $110. As for the other 2, you might call the auction house, tell them your situation and ask if they know any buyers that might come make you a offer on site... and haul the animals away.

USDA regulations say that if the beef aninimal can't walk in, they cant butcher it.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not unless you've been an elk hunter. Dressing out a 1500 lb bull is a challenge, but not that bad really once one knows what to do.

probably a 1hr deal for me, but I've seen some do it faster.
Most people (including the OP) are not elk hunters. 106 degrees out there tomorrow. I sent a P.M. I said "grab the knife by the dull end."

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The biggest issue seems like catching these bad boys in an open field. I have always viewed cows as a bit torpid but now that I'm having to catch them I realize they will give us a hell of a fight. The dogs are certainly a good idea. Whoever is wanting these things better have a plan.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
USDA regulations say that if the beef aninimal can't walk in, they cant butcher it.

My local facility process dozens of deer every yr for hunters. They can't sell the deer meat to the public. But they process it for the hunter's use for a fee. The place has been doing it for as long as I can remember. Never asked about cattle. When he works his deal to sell 2 of the animals.. he might include as part of the deal getting one animal hauled to the processing faciliity for him. The buyer is going to be getting a good deal on his 2 as it is..

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The biggest issue seems like catching these bad boys in an open field. I have always viewed cows as a bit torpid but now that I'm having to catch them I realize they will give us a hell of a fight. The dogs are certainly a good idea. Whoever is wanting these things better have a plan.
Something else to think about. Is this the only cow the vanished neighbor couldn't catch?Some times if you only catch the easy ones year after year, you select for the rank wild and crazy. "oh just get a dog or two." Yeah OK. Some cattle will wear out a good cowman. Rodeo time. Fun project for all involved.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My local facility process dozens of deer every yr for hunters. They can't sell the deer meat to the public. But they process it for the hunter's use for a fee. The place has been doing it for as long as I can remember. Never asked about cattle. When he works his deal to sell 2 of the animals.. he might include as part of the deal getting one animal hauled to the processing faciliity for him. The buyer is going to be getting a good deal on his 2 as it is..

My processor does over 700 deer a year.
Trust me, they cannot do a cow that cannot walk in.

Call your processor and tell me I'm wrong.

Latest posts

Top Bottom