How often do you carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How often do you carry?

• Total voters

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
24-7, 365.
Always a mouse gun in the pocket, guns stationed around the home within reach of commonly used areas.
The power plant I worked at had a no gun policy on the property, OK in the parking lot. I carried a mouse gun in the pocket for 10 years before retiring with nobody noticing.
Wife got her CC several years ago, and I'm always on her about where is your gun? She rarely knows. I move it from vehicle to vehicle for her so I guess she has become complacent that I'm doing it for her.
Fast forward to last week when I posted a thread about her riding with a friend, hitting a deer and having to sit on the highway until I got there 45 minutes later. That highway has had some crime issues so when she left, I put her pistol in the map pocket of the driver's door where it's always kept thinking she was going to drive her vehicle.
When I pulled up on the scene of the accident and accessed that everyone was OK and loading up the shopping items they had bought into my truck, asked her where her pistol was.
It was in her vehicle back at her friend's house where she left it. Said she was terrified the entire time they were sitting on the side of the road in the dark because she was unarmed.
Today she had to drive to Broken Arrow to pick up her mom to stay with us for a while. As she drove off, asked her where the pistol was, and she pointed at it saying she was in charge of it now. I hope that was a lesson learned to keep track of your firearm.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rarely to Occasionally.

Active military, so on base is a no-no. My Lowes/Home Depot runs are normally after work. Aside from that it's work, kids, home, repeat. When I make a quick trip to a store, it's in an area where I've never heard anything as bad as a fist fight happening. Street fights don't normally erupt between the jalapenos and the corn.

When I'm driving cross-town or heading to a place in a less than uber safe place, it's a pocket .380, 9mm, or 1911. It's normally the mouse gun. My destination is almost never my concern, but a backup if I have a blow out on the way is nice to have. Anything can happen anywhere, but I'd rock kevlar all day every day if I REALLY honored all threats. I've never rolled up to a place felt that I really needed to be armed, but I rarely feel inconvenienced when I am.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hardy ever. I rarely need to. I can handle myself pretty well and live in a nice place. But if I am talking time is over.
The problem is....we cannot predict when it will be "needed" If we could, we wouldn't have been there in the first place. Always carry. Even a small pocket pistol is better than no pistol at all......should you find something is 'needed'

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t carry very often anymore, but I always have a rifle locked up and a handgun hidden but easily accessible in my vehicle. Part of the daily process is putting them in the house or putting them in my vehicle. I do carry when I’m in a sketchy area (not often) or when outdoors, whether I’m hiking, hunting, camping, or otherwise. I don’t carry at home, it is my place to relax. I do always have a handgun and rifle handy at home too, but not on me. I’ve built the new house to be a bit of a fortress. Between door/window reinforcements and 24/7 CCTV feeds with a DVR I feel that I have adequate protection and early warning should I need to arm myself. Not to mention I have a ton of nosey neighbors, and the cops like to hang out 50 yards from my house.

I definitely don’t discriminate against carrying often, but I think that it makes more targets than it helps, to be often. I see people carrying concealed too often. It’s too obvious, whether they’re new and fiddling with their shirt or printing, or they’re experienced and you can see it in their clothing choice and demeanor, plus a little printing usually. I feel like I borrow a lot of mind set that Robert Heinelen suggested in his book “tunnel in the sky”, he said that “having a firearm makes you 7 feet tall and invincible, but being naked and having a knife makes you smart and careful”. The name of the game for me is to be careful and blend in unless I’m intentionally putting myself into a situation where something bad can happen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom