How Should I Best Spend My CCW Dollars?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OV1kenobi

Marksman
Reaction score
I recently (60 days ago in OSBI's hands) applied for my CCW. Looking for some direction here. I don't have an unlimited supply of funds, so I am looking for the most effective use of my available discretionary income devoted to firearms-related purchases in the order of most importance.

Right now, I own a completely stock Glock 19. I do not as of yet have either a holster or night sights for it. So, it looks like I need to decide what I need to do among the following:

1. Stock up on components. I do reload and have a supply of powder, primers and brass on hand. I've been thinking on stocking up on some more powder and 9mm bullets to get in lots of practice. I really do believe in lots of practice.

2. Buy a really good holster or two in the carry methods of my choice.

3. Night sights. I am 54 years old, near-sighted, and am thinking of the XS Big Dot system.

On the surface, it seems as though I should concentrate on acquiring components because one never knows what sort of run might occur leading up to the election (remember 2008?) So, components might be in the shortest supply/potentially regulated category.

Still, with good holsters sometimes running six weeks or more in delivery time, I am also thinking that it might be better to place my order for a holster in order to at least have one once my license arrives - even it is a Don Hume. Please don't get me wrong. I don't mean to slam Don Hume; particularly as it is an Oklahoma company and I have had good luck with them and Bianchi in the past when it came to an "off the shelf" holster.

What would you advise?

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most people who CC / open carry usually end up with a drawer full of holsters... many of them they didn't like, don't use and have invested a lot of money in. If I remember where Inola is located, you live near Tulsa. You still have plenty of time before you get your license, so I suggest taking your weapon to some of the larger gun shops that sell holsters... and to the gun shows in Tulsa... and try your weapon in different holsters before you buy. Most gun shops will let you use a gun like yours from their display case, as you try a holster for fit & comfort.

As for sights, night sights are great. But if you have never tried a Crimson Trace laser, you shoud find a gun shop that has a display where you can try one. I have one on my G23.. that also fits my G19. I like it a heck of a lot better than night sights. It activates every time you grip the gun and projects a bright red dot onto the target. It comes on every time I holster and unholster.. yet the batteries last a yr. And CT has a batteries for life promotion... where they will send you new batteries for your laser grip every yr for life. Something you might want to consider. With a laser, your eye is on the target, not your sights.

OV1kenobi

Marksman
Reaction score
David2012:

Sadly, I am aware of the "drawer full of holsters" phenomena. I really do wish to avoid that, but I suppose that is how eBay and the B.S.T. forums get the traffic that they do.

I understand your appreciation of the laser. However, I do have a concern. Please excuse me for my ignorance, but could not someone back-trace the beam of the laser to pinpoint your location? I don't know much about lasers, so if you or anyone else can educate me I would appreciate it. It would seem to me that an XS Big Dot tritium sight would acquire a target for an old guy like me, but not back-trace and not print and identify me.

BTW, I want to know what you have in your holster inventory. Honestly and seriously, I really want to know. I am an old and currently employed U.S.P.S. Postman, a blue-collar guy with a wife and raising a young grandson. I am an Honorably-Discharged Army veteran from the Cold War Era (1982-1988) and I don't have a bunch of money, so if you have some holsters that you might want to part with, please PM me. I am sure that we can come to some mutually beneficial arrangement.

Warmest Regards,

David

Phildo64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In a situation where you are pulling your gun, the bad guy/s is typically already fully aware of you I.E. within that 7 yard spectrum. Your laser shouldn't leave a trail back to you unless your in a smokey room or some crap, but then again if he's noticing your laser your not doing your job and shooting like you should be. Gun comes up, you ID dot, pull trigger x's what is necessary, scan for threats, call cops, lol. Xs are great sights, If you only had one to get night sights IMHO is the way to go, they typically don't run outta batteries, or better yet get both. 2 is 1 remember!

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In a situation where you are pulling your gun, the bad guy/s is typically already fully aware of you I.E. within that 7 yard spectrum. Your laser shouldn't leave a trail back to you unless your in a smokey room or some crap, but then again if he's noticing your laser your not doing your job and shooting like you should be. Gun comes up, you ID dot, pull trigger x's what is necessary, scan for threats, call cops, lol. Xs are great sights, If you only had one to get night sights IMHO is the way to go, they typically don't run outta batteries, or better yet get both. 2 is 1 remember!

Agree with Phildo64--- outside the home, most gun fights [or fights with Bad Guys armed with knives] will be in low light conditions and in very close quarters... 21 feet or less and will happen very quickly. The bad guy will already know you are present.. especially if you are the intended target. He will probably already have his hand on his weapon. With a laser, you have a bit of an advantage because you won't have to look down your gun's sights.. you could fire from the hip just as soon as the dot is on the target.

In a home defense situation, searching your house in the dark...some poeple say the laser will give you away.. but my house is never completely dark.. we have LED motion activated night lights all over the place in outlets.. so if anyone moves near one it comes on for several minutes.. plenty of light to see someone.

Using a laser isn't like in the movies that shows a red beam going staight from the gun's laser to the tartget. That only happens if there is a lot of dirt or smoke in the air for it to reflect off of. And as far as printing goes.. it only adds a small spot about the size of the first joint of your little finger to the right side of your upper grip. I easily conceal my G23 under a T-shirt with the tail out using my Desantis 105 holster.

Now in low light, the Green lasers will show a beam from the laser to the target.. but that is because it is in a light spectrum that is more easily seen by the naked eye. The green laser's dot can be seen in daylight many times. The down side is the green lasers are a little more expensive and drain the batteries about 1/3 faster than the red lasers.

If you are comfortable with the XS Big Dot system don't let me talk you out of it... as it is a good choice. It is just for me, I'm near sighted too... and if I focus on my front sight, I get fuzzy on my target in low light. With the bright red dot.. that I have sighted in at 21 feet, I know that where ever that dot is... whether or not I'm looking down my gun's sights or not.. the bullet will hit within inches of the Dot.. no matter if I'm 5 feet away or 40 feet away from the target. If the Dot is in center mass, I'm gonna get a hit of some kind whether I'm looking at my gun's sights or not.

Either way, laser or XS Big Dot system once you've practiced with it and gotten comfortable using it, you should be fine.

You can order a free Crimson Trace catalog & DVD at this link.
http://www.crimsontrace.com/company/contact?tabIndex=1#contactForms

As for holsters... I primarily use either a black Desantis 105 for IWB [similar to a Cross Breed holster] and a Blackhawk Serpa 2 for OWB belt carry. I've sometimes used a cheap Don Hume IWB leather holster and my basic Glock Sport holster... which you can get for around $10. I've got about a 1/2 dozen others I don't use... including a $50 Bianchi Model 82 Carry Lok holster. It is a nice looking leather holster... with a sure locking system and the weapon rides close to the body. But the latch is activated by the middle finger and is difficult to get use to.

Best wishes on you holster hunt!

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
forget the laser get the night sights an shoot as much as you can afford to.how do you plan to carry? iwb, owb,aiwb ?

Last edited:

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats on the CWL...Watch the classifieds...many holsters will fit the different guns, especially the kydex/crossbreed style.
Some can be modified to fit different guns by using a hair dryer to mold the kydex...takes Some practice , but holsters arent cheap, or cheap ones arent good?
Prepare for the box-o-holsters, we all have them , our preferences change as we progress....LOL
Good Luck

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How best to spend your ccw dollars? Invest in quality training and get into to some competition shooting like idpa.

Gear never makes up for operator competancy and learning to perform under pressure,

Bighead

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Holster and quality belt
2. Ammo - Practice
3. Night sights

Also, a quality one to three day basic handgun or advanced concealed carry course from someplace like USSA in Tulsa is not cheap, but is an excellent investment.

Try some holsters on in the store to help decide what carry method seems comfortable to you. With your Glock 19 I would suggest strong side inside waist or outside belt carry. Don Hume's JIT Slide is an excellent low cost belt holster that holds the firearm tight against the body. The Crossbreed Supertuck style IWB holsters are excellent, including copies like the Galco KingTuk. Off-body carry is another option with a bag like the excellent Maxpedition Versapak.

My night aright recommendations are XS Big Dot or Trijicon HD.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How best to spend your ccw dollars? Invest in quality training and get into to some competition shooting like idpa.

Gear never makes up for operator competancy and learning to perform under pressure,

I agree with this, but you still need the gear because you need to train with the gear you will use. The gear should come before training. If you want an IWB tuckable with little wait time try Mackenzie Enterprises. The reloading stuff will help you practice shooting more. You are thinking about it and that is important too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom