I gave my dad my CZ 75, anything I need to do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BangBangJamDang

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First a quick story.
While my dad was in town this weekend, we went shooting together for the first time in around 10 years. I loaded up 6 of my pistols and we went to Heartland in Edmond for a few hours. My dad fell in love with my CZ 75 BD while we were there. He kept shooting it with a big grin on his face. On the drive back to my house he kept talking about how much he liked that CZ, and he sure would like to buy one someday. When we got back to my house, I just handed him the case and told him to keep it. He gave me my first guns; it feels pretty good to be able to return the favor.

Now that I have given him the gun is there anything that I need to do? I know it is against the law to buy a gun for someone else these days, but are there any laws about giving one away? Do I need to do anything or just go on with my life and not worry about it.

Thanks

huskres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is against the law to purchase a gun for someone else. Not against the law to do so as a gift. and you don't need to do anything.

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good going BBJD. Forget Christmas and Birthdays, gifts given when it is unexpected are much better.

Does you dad live in this state? If not, then it would need to be transferred through an FFL in his state of residence. Otherwise if he is an Oklahoman, you are good to go.

It is against the law to purchase a gun for someone else. Not against the law to do so as a gift. and you don't need to do anything.

Just a quick clarification. It is not necessarily against the law to purchase a gun for someone. You can privately purchase guns for someone else all day long. You may not purchase a gun from an FFL on behalf of someone else. To do so would require that you lie on the 4473 which is illegal. A gift is okay in any case.

Of course providing someone who may not legally own a firearm is illegal.

BangBangJamDang

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does you dad live in this state? If not, then it would need to be transferred through an FFL in his state of residence. Otherwise if he is an Oklahoman, you are good to go.

He lives out in Guymon, so it sounds like all is good to go. Oh, and yes he can legaly own a gun.

Thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom