I have a Moral Issue. I need some advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay..... so not an oath per say. But my job is to teach. To care. To support. To nurture. To inspire. It gets a little cloudy in the report illegals aspect... lol
So, if a student is... A shoplifter? A burglar? A murderer?

When does "illegal" become an "unclouded" issue?

Not bustin' yer chops, just trying to make a point. ;)

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay..... so not an oath per say. But my job is to teach. To care. To support. To nurture. To inspire. It gets a little cloudy in the report illegals aspect... lol

Let's talk this out for argument's sake. Your job is to teach, care, support. Is it your job to gather factual data concerning the legal status of the children sitting in your classroom? Do you have any say over which students the school administrators place in your classroom? Are you, as a classroom teacher entitled to know private information about the kids in your classroom like legal status, social security number etc...??

See what I'm getting at. If you have actionable facts that's one thing, if you have gut feelings, suspicions etc...and are tormented about what action to take you could very well get by with just teaching the kids that are placed in your classroom, and do a damn fine job of it. Save the politics and windmill tilting for someone who gets paid to do that. Or take an administrator job LOL.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let's talk this out for argument's sake. Your job is to teach, care, support. Is it your job to gather factual data concerning the legal status of the children sitting in your classroom? Do you have any say over which students the school administrators place in your classroom? Are you, as a classroom teacher entitled to know private information about the kids in your classroom like legal status, social security number etc...??

See what I'm getting at. If you have actionable facts that's one thing, if you have gut feelings, suspicions etc...and are tormented about what action to take you could very well get by with just teaching the kids that are placed in your classroom, and do a damn fine job of it. Save the politics and windmill tilting for someone who gets paid to do that. Or take an administrator job LOL.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

This right here^^^^

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let’s don’t don’t turn this into an illegals, or Teacher bashing session. I’m just wondering what the opinions are.

Personally I feel Like it violates my “Oath” as a teacher. My job is to teach. I do my job well. I work hard to be a good teacher. My problem is the legal issues. I feel like the district knows it’s doing wrong. Hence, they are asking me to sit back quietly and keep my yap shut.

The teaching is easy and very fulfilling. The issue at hand is troubling.

Everyone in your town knows what's going on. They turn a blind eye because money clouds people's judgement.

FWIW, it's probably a net gain overall to have them there. If they all magically disappeared tomorrow, the plant would likely close up and the town would dry up. Lots of local citizens would lose their jobs and the area would become depressed. So it's not just a black and white issue.

On the flip side of that coin, most of those illegals were trafficked into those jobs. They paid criminals to get there and some of them suffered indignities we wouldn't wish on our worst enemies. It's pretty likely that drugs are being funneled to the area through that same migration chain. Again, it's not black and white.

All you can do at the end of the day is what you think is the most "right" thing to do, and sleep as best you can at night knowing you followed your conscience, regardless of the downsides. I feel for you and wish you the best, because it's obvious you care.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep quiet! I don't want $8 a pound bacon. LOL!
Seriously nothing will happen to them. Even if ice comes to town and hauls them in. A new crew will be in place next month.
If someone thinks it was you that squealed, you'll be hog tied and run out of town. or BBQ'd

Latest posts

Top Bottom