I like this...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like this...
union_grove_sign_ketk-1368241232.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-18-11-20-24.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-11-18-11-20-24.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 209

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Please be aware that the staff at blah blah blah are armed and may use whatever force necessary to protect our students."

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ugh, one of those collective nouns that cause no end of debate about whether a singular verb, or a plural verb, is correct for usage with such a noun. "The staff... are armed..." as opposed to "The staff... is armed..."? If the staff is considered an entity all working toward the same end, it'd be singular; if the staff is composed of individuals all performing different tasks, the noun would be plural. In this case, I wonder if the verb should be "is".

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ugh, one of those collective nouns that cause no end of debate about whether a singular verb, or a plural verb, is correct for usage with such a noun. "The staff... are armed..." as opposed to "The staff... is armed..."? If the staff is considered an entity all working toward the same end, it'd be singular; if the staff is composed of individuals all performing different tasks, the noun would be plural. In this case, I wonder if the verb should be "is".

Isn't a staff always armed? After all, it's a staff, right? ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom