I Was Reminded Today Of Why I Like Self-Checkout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife said she was scanning her items at Walmart and the screen popped up with a notice that said basically, wait for assistance. Employee comes over, logs in and plays back a video of her scanning her items. Enters code or whatever and leaves so wife can finish checking out.

I wonder what triggered the flag. Is AI watching for peculiarities? Or is a person somewhere doing it? Or did my wife just put off criminal vibes?

I'd never heard of this before.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife said she was scanning her items at Walmart and the screen popped up with a notice that said basically, wait for assistance. Employee comes over, logs in and plays back a video of her scanning her items. Enters code or whatever and leaves so wife can finish checking out.

I wonder what triggered the flag. Is AI watching for peculiarities? Or is a person somewhere doing it? Or did my wife just put off criminal vibes?

I'd never heard of this before.
If you're holding two things in your scan hand, it triggers that alert, even if you scanned both. It's happened every time I've replicated it lol. Scan something, leave it in your hand while you use the same hand to pick up the next item, scan it, and ding ding lol

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep - just remember - all those chickensquirt companies that pay the minimum 7.25 an hour would pay less if they could.

People get all freaked out about costs of hamburgers going up if the minimum wage goes up. Get a clue folks - we live in a society of excess. Our cheap food, cheap fuel, expendable income has gotten us to the point where most of us are obese or overweight, and most of our health problems are self-inflicted.

Maybe that hamburger should cost a few bucks more.
Good advice for those that participate in fast food. Some don't.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Too many stores are going self-checkout and I can understand that it is a profit making situation in that they don't have to pay cashiers. But in turn, not only are cashiers laid off but others are as well and that impacts the consumer because it makes it difficult to locate an item..
I try to look up what I need on the internet and find the aisle and area the item is at and then go to Lowes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom