I Was Reminded Today Of Why I Like Self-Checkout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capnkirk462

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Minimum wage here in OK is $7.25(ridiculous). OnCue starts pay at $11.
Yeah I don't even make that much. Can't say where because all large companies have internet nazis who will here about any and all comments. Bet they make more than I do and all they do is surf the internet all day in a nice office.

capnkirk462

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went to Lowe’s the other day and walked to the self checkout to ring my stuff up and pay. Before I even got to the scanner, some employee was asking if I need help, nope , got this I replied. She bird dogged me until I paid and left. Not sure of the purpose of self checkout if an employee is going to stand there and watch.
Anytime I go to Lowes or Home Depot I look online to where the location is, then I email it to my self. In and out in under a few minutes. Went to Home Depot last week and one of the employees, a man about my age mid 50's, ask if he could help me. Told him nicely nope going to aisle 22 bay 15 while holding my phone up. He just smiled at me and said he liked people who knew what they needed and were doing.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone remember the purpose of the original “minimum wage” legislation?
"The purpose of the minimum wage was to stabilize the post-depression economy and protect the workers in the labor force. The minimum wage was designed to create a minimum standard of living to protect the health and well-being of employees."
https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/minimum_wage
This is something I think a lot of people seem to not be able to fathom these days. It wasn't established to provide the absolute bare minimum you could pay the pimply faced teenager that is working for gas money at McD's. It was "designed to create a minimum standard of living to protect the health and well-being of employees." $7.25/hr for ANY job these days is FAR below what would provide any sort of semblance of a "minimum standard of living to protect the health and well-being of employees."

Last edited:

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate that everything is turning to self check out. But, in the last week I have had three instances at different retailers where cashiers have not scanned all of my items and I corrected them as to remain honest. I'm about to the point where if they ring up the items that I put on the counter, and it appears to be incorrect but my favor, i'm just gonna assume that stuff was on sale.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Minimum wage, another great idea from Dumbasscrap Party.

They just happened to "accidentally" tie Federal contracts to minimum wage, to automatically raise government contracts anytime minimum wage is increased.

Minimum wage goes up 5%, every contract immediately goes up 5%.
Minimum wage goes from $7.75 to $15, there will be some "campaign" contributions made. Wonder where those $80 hammers came from.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stopped in OnCue this morning for a coffee and donut. Went to the counter, the young lady scanned the coffee cup and rang up the donut, without speaking a word. Then just frowned at me until I read the terminal to know how much to pay. I paid, she gave me my receipt, and continued her frown until I turned and left . Not a word, period.

Later this afternoon I went into the Walmart market, gathered my items, scanned them, paid the machine, and was finished, and the machine actually said "THANK YOU" as it printed my receipt.

And then I hear on the news about the minimum wage being raised.
I’m ok with minimum wage going up if I would only get PAID FOR MY PART TIME WORK I’VE BEEN DOING AT GROCERY STORES FOR 10 YEARS NOW!!!!!!!

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Couple of times recently, I’ve been through the drive-through car wash and employees will stand at the entry gate and ask me which wash I’d like, they will slide my credit card in the machine and hand me a receipt. I appreciate the effort, but why exactly do I need someone to stand there and push buttons on a screen which were clearly intended to be pushed by the customer? It frankly makes me feel uncomfortable.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Couple of times recently, I’ve been through the drive-through car wash and employees will stand at the entry gate and ask me which wash I’d like, they will slide my credit card in the machine and hand me a receipt. I appreciate the effort, but why exactly do I need someone to stand there and push buttons on a screen which were clearly intended to be pushed by the customer? It frankly makes me feel uncomfortable.
Someone stole my debit card once and went on a shopping spree. Thankfully fraud protection covered everything but still. I think about that crap all the time. Especially with todays self indulgent and lazy younger generation.

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stopped in OnCue this morning for a coffee and donut. Went to the counter, the young lady scanned the coffee cup and rang up the donut, without speaking a word. Then just frowned at me until I read the terminal to know how much to pay. I paid, she gave me my receipt, and continued her frown until I turned and left . Not a word, period.

Later this afternoon I went into the Walmart market, gathered my items, scanned them, paid the machine, and was finished, and the machine actually said "THANK YOU" as it printed my receipt.

And then I hear on the news about the minimum wage being raised.
Maybe she was on mute or was mute.

Latest posts

Top Bottom