I Was Reminded Today Of Why I Like Self-Checkout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anytime I go to Lowes or Home Depot I look online to where the location is, then I email it to my self. In and out in under a few minutes. Went to Home Depot last week and one of the employees, a man about my age mid 50's, ask if he could help me. Told him nicely nope going to aisle 22 bay 15 while holding my phone up. He just smiled at me and said he liked people who knew what they needed and were doing.
order ahead and pick up at customer service. Screw going through checkout. Prepaid.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is the circular logic argument I would love to have with management while the cops are standing there

Manager - Sir you didn’t pay for those items.

Me - I’m sorry, the cashier forgot to scan them

Manager - Sir, it’s self checkout. You were supposed to scan them.

Me - Where’s my paycheck?

Manager. - Sir, only the cashiers are paid to scan items.

Me - Oh, they forgot to scan my items.

Manager - Sir, it’s self checkout. You were supposed to scan them.

Me - Where’s my paycheck?

Etc, etc, etc.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"The purpose of the minimum wage was to stabilize the post-depression economy and protect the workers in the labor force. The minimum wage was designed to create a minimum standard of living to protect the health and well-being of employees."
https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/minimum_wage
This is something I think a lot of people seem to not be able to fathom these days. It wasn't established to provide the absolute bare minimum you could pay the pimply faced teenager that is working for gas money at McD's. It was "designed to create a minimum standard of living to protect the health and well-being of employees." $7.25/hr for ANY job these days is FAR below what would provide any sort of semblance of a "minimum standard of living to protect the health and well-being of employees."
That is the gov't's answer, but Thomas Sowell and Walter E. Williams (who, unlike the Dep't of Labor, have actually studied the minimum wage and its effects) tell a more nefarious story. In their view, the national minimum wage was implemented to protect northern unions from cheap southern labor. By setting a wage floor, they cut the competitiveness of the non-union workers.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anytime I go to Lowes or Home Depot I look online to where the location is, then I email it to my self. In and out in under a few minutes. Went to Home Depot last week and one of the employees, a man about my age mid 50's, ask if he could help me. Told him nicely nope going to aisle 22 bay 15 while holding my phone up. He just smiled at me and said he liked people who knew what they needed and were doing.
I do that as well with my Lowe’s app. However I learned it can screw with you. Seems there is an aisle 4 bin 10 outside as well as inside ☹️

capnkirk462

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
order ahead and pick up at customer service. Screw going through checkout. Pr

I do that as well with my Lowe’s app. However I learned it can screw with you. Seems there is an aisle 4 bin 10 outside as well as inside ☹️
That and the inventory number has been known to be off. Went the other day and their was supposedly only one in stock, three was in stock when I got there. Then sometimes the aisle number is off, that doesn't happen often but occasionally.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"The purpose of the minimum wage was to stabilize the post-depression economy and protect the workers in the labor force. The minimum wage was designed to create a minimum standard of living to protect the health and well-being of employees."
https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/minimum_wage
This is something I think a lot of people seem to not be able to fathom these days. It wasn't established to provide the absolute bare minimum you could pay the pimply faced teenager that is working for gas money at McD's. It was "designed to create a minimum standard of living to protect the health and well-being of employees." $7.25/hr for ANY job these days is FAR below what would provide any sort of semblance of a "minimum standard of living to protect the health and well-being of employees."
Yep - just remember - all those chickensquirt companies that pay the minimum 7.25 an hour would pay less if they could.

People get all freaked out about costs of hamburgers going up if the minimum wage goes up. Get a clue folks - we live in a society of excess. Our cheap food, cheap fuel, expendable income has gotten us to the point where most of us are obese or overweight, and most of our health problems are self-inflicted.

Maybe that hamburger should cost a few bucks more.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That and the inventory number has been known to be off. Went the other day and their was supposedly only one in stock, three was in stock when I got there. Then sometimes the aisle number is off, that doesn't happen often but occasionally.
And then you run into some stores where the aisles aren't marked properly or they basically hide the number when stocking shelves.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did the self checkout nazis smile as they checked your receipt? Or, as they groped you in the holding pen?

Funny thing the other day, I actually went through one of the "human" check out lines here at the local wally world and for the first time, I got stopped.

Latest posts

Top Bottom