I-Pad Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why limit yourself with an Ipad? There are new laptops that do more for less money than the Ipad. My wife has an Ipad, and I think it was the biggest waste of money we shelled out in the last few years....She can't use it for schoolwork, you can't watch videos on YouTube, the "upgraded" keypad sucks, and all you can use for music IS iTunes. If the battery goes out, you can't replace it; you have to send it to Apple. You can't attach a USB or insert a DVD or CD. There is no option that I know of for external storage. Apple products suck. I am really surprised that the American populace bought into Steve Job's piece of **** idea like it has.....

You can watch youtube vids on the iPad. First of all, the iPad even has a dedicated Youtube app that comes with it specifically made for watching Youtube. This app has been there since gen 1. Also, most all video websites use H.264 for videos now including Youtube. You don't even need to use the Youtube app to watch the vids anymore. You can simply go to Youtube.com in the browser and watch the vids right there in the browser.

Obviously you missed the point of the iPad in that it's not a replacement for a workstation or laptop. It's an appliance that used for casual browsing, apps, and I use it as a control hub for all my media devices and computers. I use it to control my macs and PC's in the other room and now with Coda available, I use it for front end development (html, css) while chilling at a cafe. I use it to also do some light weight information architecture and wireframes using Omnigraffle, as well.

I use pages to write up documents that is full featured and even has keynotes to do powerpoint presentations. Seriously, have you even used the iPad for more than 5 minutes?

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use my ipad for work all the time. Excel=numbers, Word=pages, and Keynote=powerpointe. A whopping 45 dollars for a tablet office productivity suite. With appples licensing model the added value is that I have these apps on both ipads registered to my account my work ipad and my wifes ipad. She does schoolwork on hers all the time, most of her reading material for her masters classes are on kindle or pdf she uses her ipad for her school books and as an adjunct professor she edits her presentations and lectures when she doesn't have her laptop with her. She also uses her ipad at work. During a recent fema disaster drill she was the only hospital management member with a full contact list and all of the required procedure documents in the incident command center.

Work benefits from the fact that I use a macbok as well, again with apples licensing model both my work macbook pro and personal one have lion, since I own the full iworks suite I did'nt have to ask the district to shell out for iworks or office for mac.

I love all the mac and ipad haters, they make me laugh especially when I used to be one of them.

Blue Baby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Comparing an iPad to a PC/MAC/Whatever is like comparing your carry piece to your hunting rifle.
You don't bash your pocket carry pistol because you can't hunt with it. It is what is is, a useful tool in the tool box.

In the electronic world you want both, just like you want an assortment of toys that go *BANG*

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Comparing an iPad to a PC/MAC/Whatever is like comparing your carry piece to your hunting rifle.
You don't bash your pocket carry pistol because you can't hunt with it. It is what is is, a useful tool in the tool box.

In the electronic world you want both, just like you want an assortment of toys that go *BANG*

This right here. I spend a lot less time with my laptop but I still need one, just like I have a pc gaming rig, yes my mbpro can run swtor on a bootcamp partition and i do use it for that when I travel games play 10 times better on my home rig. A laptop is the closest to an all in one machine as you are going to get but man I do alot on my ipad now.

Confrence notes, email, browsing, research on the spot, books, movies, portable music collection etc. plus it is a lot easier to use my ipad when traveling whether the wife and I are driving or we are flying. The battery lasts longer than a laptop.

And I can not tell a lie I am impressed by the battery life of the iPad in comparison to the android tablets. I just wish apple played as nicely with android as it does with windows.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can watch YouTube videos on them btw, not sure what the issue there was.

Me either. I used the browser to go to YouTube and recieved "this video is unavailable" for every video I tried to view. IDPA and shooting videos, nothing bad. This is not the first time it has happend with the iPad. Ran fine on my laptop.

iTunes is not the devil, Steve Jobs is not the antichrist.

Never implied that.

But 15 minutes and a 5th grade understanding of computers will show you how to upload your CD's..

Even with that 5th grade edumacation you need a computer to do that...

Might I suggest you try that youtube thing again and look for some " how to use my ipad tutorials......

I have neither the time, nor inclination to try and learn to use something that offers no appreciable benefit to a system that already is simpler, more adaptable and costs less to purchase.

Obviously you missed the point of the iPad in that it's not a replacement for a workstation or laptop.

Obviously, you missed the OP's original post that the iPad WOULD be a replacement for his crap computer.

Seriously, have you even used the iPad for more than 5 minutes?

Yes, I have.

You don't bash your pocket carry pistol because you can't hunt with it.

In that respect, then the OP shouldn't purchase an iPad or "carry pistol," to replace his PC, or "hunting rifle," since that is his intent. Correct?

For those that enjoy and use your Apple products, kudos.

ExtremistPullup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Damn guys, didn't want to start a pissing contest I already know mine is bigger. Just buy a new laptop and maybe get an iPad too
Buy both

There are a few thing that if I try to do on my iPad I'll go nuts. It's mostly not the iPads fault it the apps, replying to YouTube comments, managing both FB, YouTube, cutting a pasting can be difficulty and doesn't support flash auto correct changing a word over a simple typo.

But I find myself on it more than my desktop, battery lasts 10 hours, I used my cell phone hotspot all the time.
I think of the iPad as an accessory to my computer.
I'm on it right now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom