I Retired today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Haven't told my wife I retired 7 years ago. Keeps my days free.

Just kidding, congratulations on your retirement! Keep busy with fun projects or activities. Visit friends, travel if you have the means. You can always go back to work if bored. Keep a schedule! Hope you have retired too something and not from something!

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats............!!!! I love being retired but after 11+ years I find that there are sometimes too many Saturdays in the week.....that being said it's a great feeling to be able to do things that you couldn't while working like taking a 2 month road trip with no idea where you'll end up......."O"the memories....!!!

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congratulations Clay, I’m happy for ya. I think you got out at the right time. Both ODOT and OTA are suffering from a lack of experience. I know ODOT has reached out to retired engineering employees trying to recruit them back. The traffic and pavement design engineers are a running joke in the private sector along with “it” in Traffic.

Im sure if you want to continue to work in the field you can find something in the private sector. The pay is much better but the projects are much more difficult.

Me, Gary W, Jeff D, and Bill J, try to meet every few months on Saturdays at Jimmy’s Egg on Classen and NW Expressway for breakfast. I’ll shoot you a PM the next time we decide to meet.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congratulations Clay, I’m happy for ya. I think you got out at the right time. Both ODOT and OTA are suffering from a lack of experience. I know ODOT has reached out to retired engineering employees trying to recruit them back. The traffic and pavement design engineers are a running joke in the private sector along with “it” in Traffic.

Im sure if you want to continue to work in the field you can find something in the private sector. The pay is much better but the projects are much more difficult.

Me, Gary W, Jeff D, and Bill J, try to meet every few months on Saturdays at Jimmy’s Egg on Classen and NW Expressway for breakfast. I’ll shoot you a PM the next time we decide to meet.
I spent 20 years in the “private sector”. All that means to me is never ending pressure, stretched budgets, mismanagement and stress. It’s usually only 3 people doing all the work even with a team of 15. I wouldn’t go back to it for 200k a year.

A guy like Chenry that digs in and takes responsibility could be sent to an early grave dealing with that BS.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom