I stand with Texas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphranch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone in this thread has zero clue about the power grid, nor how power plants are constructed nor the Texas issue this winter with temperatures that reached record lows in spite of liberal claims of global warming.
If that person wishes to step up, I’ll be more than happy to inform and instruct.
No charge BTW.
Ok. I'll fess up. I thought I'd get more power from switching from oxen to donkeys to turn the big turbine for your electricity. Turns out I was wrong.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's why you put the power strip in an easily accessible spot...:bolt:

Seriously though. Wasn't suggesting everyone do what I did. Was just relating my experience with "standby powered devices" like @SirROFL was talking about
I have heard that in Europe (was it Germany maybe?) the electricity is so expensive folks on a fixed income are doing this with power strips every night when they get ready for bed, to save a euro or two. Then turn 'em back when they get up the next day.

Good advice not to plug heavy amperage into power strips also.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Commifornika sent notifications to their utility users today to expect blackouts indefinitely because their “green grid” can’t keep up with demand like base units can in other states.
This is a reflection on why green doesn’t work.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I ran an experiment about a year ago. I drive a truck so I'm only home 3 or 4 days a month. My average electric bill was running about $56-$60 a month for the first 3 years I lived in my apartment.

Got to talking with a friend in the utilities industry. He told me about the "standby power" on most tech devices. I got to thinking about that. I went out and got some power strips and plugged them into the wall. Then I plugged the computers, cable box, wifi router, TV's and everything electronic but the stove and fridge into the strips. Every time I left the house, I turned off the power strips.

Next electric bill, I noticed an immediate $20 drop in my monthly utility bill. Ran it like that for 3 months, then next 3 months, I left the strips powered on. Yep, immediate $20 increase in the monthly bill.

Now I turn the strips off when I'm not using them.

Why pay extra for power consumption that your not using?
Do you have to reset all the channels when you get home. Wondering how long the memory will last without power.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Commifornika sent notifications to their utility users today to expect blackouts indefinitely because their “green grid” can’t keep up with demand like base units can in other states.
Maybe people out there will just go out and start their gasoline cars and turn the AC on while they are doing their turn at blackouts.....oh wait !

Truckdriver

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have to reset all the channels when you get home. Wondering how long the memory will last without power.

When I power back on, it takes about 45 seconds for the OS to boot, then the channels are available immediately. It takes about a minute for the channel info to load up. All in all, not bad time

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Oh, but just think how great they feel knowing they are sweating to help mother earth. I am SO appreciative of their sacrifice, I struggle with the words to express it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom