If I want to move my kitchen ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:blush::blush::blush:

Let's say a girl wants knock out a wall that might be .. :lookaroun maybe ... :lookaroun I'm not sure ... :lookaroun be a supporting wall ... :lookaroun to move her kitchen to the dining room and her dining room to the kitchen ... :blush:

:selfangel Who would she ask about this "dilemma"?? a contractor or an architect?? And what kind of information would she need for said professional to get the most from their "good conversation"??

and thanks in advance because GC is being NO help at all ... He thinks the ho use is "fine" ... :grumble: :rotflmao:

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Structural engineer or architect. A contractor may or may not know if it's a supporting wall. Structural will be able to tell you what needs to be put in place if the wall is removed to brace and stabilize everything.

Spata

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:blush::blush::blush:

Let's say a girl wants knock out a wall that might be .. :lookaroun maybe ... :lookaroun I'm not sure ... :lookaroun be a supporting wall ... :lookaroun to move her kitchen to the dining room and her dining room to the kitchen ... :blush:

:selfangel Who would she ask about this "dilemma"?? a contractor or an architect?? And what kind of information would she need for said professional to get the most from their "good conversation"??

and thanks in advance because GC is being NO help at all ... He thinks the ho use is "fine" ... :grumble: :rotflmao:

Sounds like a $30,000 project.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you know any carpenters or framers, you could ask them. You also could have GC crawl up in the attic and see if the wall is a load supporting wall. Go outside and take a photo of your roof, right at where you are wondering about.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would recommend a structural engineer and a contractor working together. And Spata is right you are talking a 30k plus job if you are moving walls and plumbing, gas, electrical etc. You may be able to just open a wall and get the feel of a lot more space or open a wall and build the kitchen out into the dining area and just having a breakfast nook type spot for dining.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you know any carpenters or framers, you could ask them. You also could have GC crawl up in the attic and see if the wall is a load supporting wall. Go outside and take a photo of your roof, right at where you are wondering about.

LOL ... GC ain't gonna do nothing but complain ... :lookaroun

The wall is between the kitchen and the living room. The dining room is just a little bump off the kitchen that opens into the living room. That damned wall is what makes the kitchen right now. :grumble: What I want to do is move the kitchen to the north wall (which is the dining room), knock out the wall that is the kitchen and have the dining room, living room and kitchen open, with a island instead of a wall to define the kitchen. It's a little house (circa 1965) but would be a lot more comfortable without that wall ...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure $30K is just the beginning. He's decided he doesn't want to move to an acreage. If we ain't moving Ima gonna get this one remodeled. I'm the second owner and this will be the first remodel on this house. Figure my electric's not to code anymore so if I'm gonna have to spend money, I'm gonna do it right ... :P

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
" He thinks the house is "fine" ... ".......LOL or is it

Engineer to start , contractor to finish

:rotflmao: Him and probably every other man on the planet ... :P

I changed the kitchen faucet with him once. :shocked: NEVER AGAIN. We were in the house when they put the new roof on (along with new decking), the new siding and put the new windows in. :shocked: NEVER AGAIN. When we get ready to do this remodel we are packing up everything we own and putting it in storage, moving into a rent by the week place. He can find some piddly little job to go to during the day and I'm gonna hang out with whoever is working on my house ... :P

I love him but he's not a patient man ... nor is he "long suffering" ... he's not even "short suffering" ... LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom