If I want to move my kitchen ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Beyond the framing, which is doable, just very invasive, the plumbing is a huge consideration. If you are on a slab it will have to be cut, and new plumbing(drain) lines run for the new kitchen. If your water feed lines are in the slab they need to move as well. Raised foundation is easier but still a lot of work, and clearance under the house is a big consideration.

As others have indicated, this is easily a $30K project. Once you get all of the infrastructure done all of the remainder adds up quickly.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmmmm ... well, now ... you guys (the "just move" fellas) have me thinking ... I wouldn't mind just doing some basic work on this one and using it for a rental property. Houses in this neighborhood are netting between $750 and $1000 a month and my house is big enough to go for the higher end. With it paid off we actually have a few more options than if we were still "into the bank" on this one ...

We kinda like the neighborhood though ...

Oh well ... we have a bit of time before we decide. Maybe a chat with an engineer and then a look at what's out there for sale may be in order ...

It's not going to be as easy as just talking with an engineer. Gonna cost you money just for some guy with a degree to come out and say if it's feasible or not. Do you have access to the blue prints of your home? Can you get them at your city/county building departments? If you have those it may make the task for the engineer or architect much easier.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kitchens are one of the most expensive remodels in home remodeling, the next most expensive is bathrooms.

You're not kidding there. The two bathrooms in my current house were the worst ever when I first moved in, so I budgeted for their remodeling. The toilet in one had to be relocated along with the shower, which required cutting into the concrete slab in two places. The framing itself wasn't bad since no load-bearing walls were involved, but the process took three months and the total price tag was a shocker. If the bathrooms hadn't been so bad, I'd probably have just done minor updates; as it is, I'm really glad I went through with the project.

The kitchen? Meh, I'd just leave it as is since I don't cook much :P

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a rule the shortest span between walls across any room is the load bearing span/walls. Is you have a 12x15 room, the veiling joist span the 12' length.

Sent from outer space or somewhere from my mobile device

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with SPD and Old Phart.

As much as I HATE to move and LOVE doing remodel. THIS is a major rework you are talking about and $30k will just be getting you started. Get out of the HOA, find you a lil chicken ranch with a house you love or have built. It will be cheaper and faster in the long and you'll BOTH be a lot happier.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Taking the load off a load bearing wall isn't that big a deal if the span isn't too long. I've done this myself by putting in a hidden beam. If you find a good carpenter ,he will be able to do it if it can be done.

ChuckC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Taking the load off a load bearing wall isn't that big a deal if the span isn't too long. I've done this myself by putting in a hidden beam. If you find a good carpenter ,he will be able to do it if it can be done.

Very true, I've done it a few times.
And I agree a good carpenter/framer can tell you what needs to be done, probably much cheaper than an engineer.
I mean its not like your trying to put a dome on the state Capitol ;-)

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very true, I've done it a few times.
And I agree a good carpenter/framer can tell you what needs to be done, probably much cheaper than an engineer.
I mean its not like your trying to put a dome on the state Capitol ;-)

Lol ... that's good!! :P

Ok ... I'm thinking maybe I should just leave it alone, replace the appliances and throw down new flooring and paint and call it good ... ****, GC wins again ... :wink2: Well, that's okay ... I'm sure I can figure out a way to make him pay ... :P

Latest posts

Top Bottom