If You Are PLanning To Fill The Gas Tank....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just because we're glad our gas prices have gone down doesn't mean we hate people and want them to suffer.... as has been mentioned here many MANY times before, there were some companies that took the growing market cautiously and slowly, building infrastructure and preparing for what many saw as an inevitable downturn - this isn't a new phenomenon, not in this area of the country. Companies that grew slowly and responsibly and prepared for this are not being hurt as much as some... we all know of some companies that hired anyone and everyone they could get to turn a wrench or drive a truck, and threw money at them. Alot of those very people are now suffering, yes. Agreed, it's never good to see people out of work but when you hire on for seasonal help at Christmas, you kind of expect the season to end sometime. And an oilfield boom is not all that different, really.

I, too, wish we could have some diversity in this state's economy, but when the politicians are (as usual) in bed with some companies and the money is being thrown around like confetti, it's hard to get them to focus on real growth, real infrastructure, real economic development, etc. what else does Oklahoma have that would be the basis for an economy? I mean statewide with the kind of money and jobs and security we'd like to see?

Cash crops come to mind.... then OG&E would be overwhelmed.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Threads like this remind me how idiotic and single-minded OSA can be at times.

Oil affects a LOT of jobs at least on an ancillary level, and that doesn't mean those people previously had a huge economic windfall either. Not to mention, it brought in a ton of money from all over the world.

Sure politicians need to get their act together, but that won't change no matter what industry is thriving.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are very few businesses on Oklahoma that aren't/won't be effected by the Bust. I really don't have much concern about the twenty-something patch workers that over-extended themselves while living in a bubble of ignorance, that's where wisdom comes from. I'm concerned about every other small business in the state that relies on the oilfield. From the small diners and hotels to plating shops to the fabrication & machine shops to the gun store to the grocery store, all will suffer due to the Bust

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't you still sell insurance in a down market? I mean hasn't the government compulsory insurance market benefited you guys?

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I swear I think most people here hate anyone that's not exactly like them. And every form of dialouge that's not oversimplification.

Ive thought about this since you posted it and you are right.

I am good at saving and always have been...and easily get annoyed by those that blow and go.

Unfortunately the vast majority lives on a paycheck-paycheck basis, oilfield or not. I just don't see why people wouldn't act on changing that for themselves.

ecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_51lZMzNOwrL._SX258_BO1_204_203_200_.jpg

Recommend it to a friend.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say let it drop...
When you say this it appears that you are glad that its down and you want it to go further. Alot of people are too, youre not alone in that. Alot of other people with likely absolutely no ties to the industry other than as a consumer do too, its just common sense. More money in their pockets. Even tho I kind of doubt that you really meant job losses that you just meant the price, but still, the price is what triggers the job losses isnt it?

Over 250k jobs and getting higher are lost right now because of this 'crisis', which unless you have a job or your loved one has a job in the industry or like me youre 'merely' an investor and mineral rights owner, then the only way you are affected by this is in your substantial gas savings. Not all of those displaced workers are going to find a job. There arent many to be had any where.

My wife loves her commuter budget right now. What she doesnt love tho is the hard cold fact that if her company, the company that she has worked at ever since she 18 and in night school and remained after graduation to climb the corporate ladder, a company her late boss founded in 1962, could likely have to start laying off people- obviously the lowest paid people go first, the hard working guys at the shop who actually build their products, then it will likely go all the way over to corporate. Small family owned company but a major player in their field, but with no customer orders there will be no work at the shop and thus no work for corporate to do either. Price continues to go even lower then refineries will stop buying their specialized equipment altogether. If they went completely under, the guys at the top, the sons of the founder, can just take their millions and retire. Everybody else is left with their 401ks. My wife has a great savings package after over 30 years of saving.

Since shes still healthy and still motivated my wife wanted to work into her early 60s at least before retiring, shes 52, but now shes not so sure if thats even possible any more. And you know if you have ever worked your way up in corporate, once you leave to find something new you will never be making the kind of money you were making before, especially in a specialized field. That looks to be fading away.

Ya, shes happy about saving that commuter money too- just not so happy that the price could go further down and put her out of work. Not too many people are if they have any interest in this business.

Last edited:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know a single person that rejoices over someone losing their job.
Having said that, why wouldn't the average Joe like to see gasoline cheap? Or milk, or .22LR for that matter?
At what point is the perfect balance for gas prices? Enough to keep Oklahoma booming, and average Joe not spending his ammo money for gas?

Latest posts

Top Bottom