I'm glad Mrs. Obama is forcing fruits and vegies onto student's trays....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually the gov is only kicking in $.06 per meal to help with the new meal pattern. Most schools say it is costing them $.30 to $.40 per meal extra to meet the requirements. I'm all for helping the kids eat healthier. But it's not the school lunches that are making them obese. It's the coke they drink for breakfast, the candy and soda they drink when they get home, and the crappy food they eat at home.

A direct result of poor education of the parents, my parents thought it was just fine to send me cup cakes and twinkies along with peanut butter and jelly and potato chips for lunch. Soda machines are coming out of schools and are not being sold in cafeterias. We have to start somewhere educating kids that there are healthier options to be had. If they aren't getting it at home let's try to

Our district has partnered with local producers for farm to table food choices reducing costs, and providing healthier lunch options. Pizza day is a once month treat now, rather than an every Friday event.

I don't believe in the it takes a village to raise a child train of thought but you can't force parents to make changes at least we can try to reach the kids when they are in school.

Beerzerker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ain't it all just connected?

You got obamacare (rammed down our throats really), which means we have somewhat socialized healthcare. Its no secret that obesity is one of the biggest public health problems in America... So instead of waiting 20 years and using public money to pay for diabetes related amputations, increased wheelchair access in public buildings, physical therapy, medications and so on and so forth... Just teach the up and coming kids how to be just a bit healthier and it may end up saving the country tons of money.

At least in theory... Hope them kids don't just toss the fruits in the garbage. Thats just a darn waste.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
My son was forced to take a green orange yesterday. He tossed it in the garbage can.

Bingo..

I agree with the vending machines being removed. My daughter said the only thing allowed in their machines are diet drinks. The choices they have aren't any different from other years. The only thing that changed was having the fruit and veggie put on the tray and the parents being forced to pay more this year so the kids can throw it away.

I get the whole "if a couple of kids learn to like it" argument. Just don't do it on my dime. My daughter eats veggies almost every night at meal time. She eats a balanced breakfast as well. She just wants to have a slice of pizza or a bag of chips and fruit juice for lunch if she wants. She just feels guilty throwing food away that she doesn't want, but is forced to purchase. I say, give the kids that want the fruit and veggies, all they can eat and leave the other kids alone.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now she needs to get contol of her husband:kiss: Seems everytime he does a photo op. he's eating something good loaded with sugar.

Really this won't make a difference. Just like when I was in school and my kids went to school anything forced on them they throw away or they just don't eat lunch and save the money.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Schools need to take back the cafeteria. Get rid of all the fast food options and server one set meal per day. Have a choice of two proteins, a couple of vegetables and a starch or two. That gives them choices and keeps the adults in control of the food. Take all the vending machines out of schools. Have one that has bottled water and one that has healthier snack options. I remember up until 10th grade I looked at the weekly lunch menu and if I did not like what was coming up I took my lunch to school. That is not to say that pizza or hamburgers can not show up on the menu.

As for PE. I cant remember if it was Union or Jenks that was interviewed by the Tulsa World a couple of years ago about PE in high school. They said it is not offered because colleges dont want it. Why cant they make an AP PE class? There are way to many AP classes as it is. When I was in school there was AP Biology, English, and Calculus. Now there is AP History, Art, Music and all kinds of others. If it was AP kids would sign up for it :)

bootsbaker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don't currently work for a Government entity, run, don't walk to the nearest place you can sign up. You would be treated as the Messiah's prodigal son....

no doubt.
all those veggies on the plate at school don't really mean crap when mom & dad sit them in front of the tv at home with a full size bag of potato chips for a snack. Only the govt would think its logical to do away with p.e. & giving an apple would be the key to fixing obesity. Its not a schools place to solve the fat problem.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually the gov is only kicking in $.06 per meal to help with the new meal pattern. Most schools say it is costing them $.30 to $.40 per meal extra to meet the requirements. I'm all for helping the kids eat healthier. But it's not the school lunches that are making them obese. It's the coke they drink for breakfast, the candy and soda they drink when they get home, and the crappy food they eat at home.

I saw this when my daughter went to first grade a couple years back. the veggie requirement was being met by putting a pile of cherry tomatoes on the tray next to ...pizza. All those tomatoes were in the trash by the end of the lunch period...they didn't' even TRY to make it kid-friendly. And as stated above, the .GOV just makes the rules, the don't PAY for them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom