I'm going to share this against my better judgement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Call them and tell them to do what? Get government in the mental health care business? No thanks Obama care should be reason enough to keep government out of any kind of health care

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Call them and tell them to fund mental healthcare care. Most severely ill are unemployable. There are few options for families of the mentally ill. Or just roll over and ***** because the wrong issue is being addressed.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bucked up and payed out of pocket for care for my kids.
I hate to be a downer but most families can afford the treatment if they cut back on crap.
You do not need a cell phone you do not need pay TV you do not need a new car payment. you do not need to eat out.
I ate raw oats and a can of green beans for lunch if I even ate lunch.

Yea adults without a job are different.
If you got care the care would result in mood altering meds.
And take a look at all the killings and then look at the mood altering meds those people were on.

Not the answer.
Talking to a shrink is not going to fix you either. it just takes up some time from your life that makes you calmer durint the time you think about it and you are actually there getting shrunk.

Severe mental problems are a mental disconnect in the brain that people mask with meds and therapist can't fix it.
You actually need something physically done inside the brain to fix it if there is a disconnect.

That is just from my life experiences and having my children and Therapeutic foster children and many other foster children.
Not to mention my relatives that are mental and on mood altering meds. For 40 years and meds and therapy they are no better off.

I wish there was a fix.. sometimes there is Not a fix.
Think deep could there have been a real fix or would it just mask things that are on the surface.

Those therapeutic foster children I had were on meds I took them off a few times for a long time and no difference in behavior.
I would mention this to the "shrinks" they say yea sometimes it works sometimes not. Sometimes nothing works.

Those kids were very smart and knew how to manipulate to get their ways.
Did not work with me though and they were absolutely a joy to be with when with me.

I do wish the situation with your relative would have not went the way it did.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Call them and tell them to do what? Get government in the mental health care business? No thanks Obama care should be reason enough to keep government out of any kind of health care

Call them and tell them to fund mental healthcare care. Most severely ill are unemployable. There are few options for families of the mentally ill. Or just roll over and ***** because the wrong issue is being addressed.

The government completely shredded the mental health system in the 70's and early 80's. When they did that, they created a defacto system where law enforcement is expected to "fix" things when they get too out of whack. The government needs to fix the damage they did.

I bucked up and payed out of pocket for care for my kids.
I hate to be a downer but most families can afford the treatment if they cut back on crap.
You do not need a cell phone you do not need pay TV you do not need a new car payment. you do not need to eat out.
I ate raw oats and a can of green beans for lunch if I even ate lunch.

Yea adults without a job are different.
If you got care the care would result in mood altering meds.
And take a look at all the killings and then look at the mood altering meds those people were on.

Not the answer.
Talking to a shrink is not going to fix you either. it just takes up some time from your life that makes you calmer durint the time you think about it and you are actually there getting shrunk.

Severe mental problems are a mental disconnect in the brain that people mask with meds and therapist can't fix it.
You actually need something physically done inside the brain to fix it if there is a disconnect.

That is just from my life experiences and having my children and Therapeutic foster children and many other foster children.
Not to mention my relatives that are mental and on mood altering meds. For 40 years and meds and therapy they are no better off.

I wish there was a fix.. sometimes there is Not a fix.
Think deep could there have been a real fix or would it just mask things that are on the surface.

Those therapeutic foster children I had were on meds I took them off a few times for a long time and no difference in behavior.
I would mention this to the "shrinks" they say yea sometimes it works sometimes not. Sometimes nothing works.

Those kids were very smart and knew how to manipulate to get their ways.
Did not work with me though and they were absolutely a joy to be with when with me.

I do wish the situation with your relative would have not went the way it did.

Are you confusing mood disorders and behavioral issues with full blown mental illness? I only ask because I have a relative I grew up around that was full blown whacko off his meds, as in Easter State Mental Hospital regular. Yet he was one of the best people in the world when he was on them. His mind would tell him he didn't need to keep taking his meds and he'd be around the bend again.

He never killed anyone, but he easily could've had the circumstances been different, and I wouldn't be surprised if that would've happened under the "system" we have now. A coworker's brother blew their dad's head off with a 30-06, while dad was sitting in his rocker. The voices in his head told him that dad was a demon bent on stealing his soul.

What we have now for mental health is a tragedy, and it's the government's fault. It will never be fixed if they don't admit being wrong and taking positive corrective steps to restore what they broke. :(

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The government completely shredded the mental health system in the 70's and early 80's. When they did that, they created a defacto system where law enforcement is expected to "fix" things when they get too out of whack. The government needs to fix the damage they did.

Are you confusing mood disorders and behavioral issues with full blown mental illness? I only ask because I have a relative I grew up around that was full blown whacko off his meds, as in Easter State Mental Hospital regular. Yet he was one of the best people in the world when he was on them. His mind would tell him he didn't need to keep taking his meds and he'd be around the bend again.

He never killed anyone, but he easily could've had the circumstances been different, and I wouldn't be surprised if that would've happened under the "system" we have now. A coworker's brother blew their dad's head off with a 30-06, while dad was sitting in his rocker. The voices in his head told him that dad was a demon bent on stealing his soul.

What we have now for mental health is a tragedy, and it's the government's fault. It will never be fixed if they don't admit being wrong and taking positive corrective steps to restore what they broke. :(

This article is a little dated(2013) but gives a good overview of what happened, it also includes some cost figures.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/2..._failing_america039s_mentally_ill_301246.html

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This article is a little dated(2013) but gives a good overview of what happened, it also includes some cost figures.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/2..._failing_america039s_mentally_ill_301246.html

EXACTLY! This paragraph goes to the heart of the matter in reference to those individuals who were traditionally institutionalized in state hospitals:

According to multiple studies summarized by the Treatment Advocacy Center, these untreated mentally ill are responsible for 10% of all homicides (and a higher percentage of the mass killings), constitute 20% of jail and prison inmates and at least 30% of the homeless. Severely mentally ill individuals now inundate hospital emergency rooms and have colonized libraries, parks, train stations and other public spaces. The quality of the lives of these individuals mocks the lofty intentions of the founders of the CMHC program.

I fail to see how jail, prison or living under a freeway overpass is better than what we had previously. :(

I may be a ahole but i dont want to pay for anybody's problems but my own.

Honestly, you have three options:

1. Pay for the problem to be taken care of.

2. Accept the problem and any consequences resulting from not paying for said problem to be taken care of.

3. Avoid society as a whole, i.e., become a mountain hermit, or move to a deserted island.

There really are no other options.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may be confusing them with full blown mental illness.
When i was 11-16 years old everyone thought I was mental in fact they put me into the nut house in norman.
after a year in there I was allowed to go 1/2 a day of school in norman public school.

I was not crazy I did not have a mental disorder I only had an issue with people wanting to harm me..My dad was a drunk and beat on my regularly.
Yep this made me angry and if someone wanted to fight i would try and avoid it and walk away .. but that does not become a choice when you are young and small you get taken down and you must fight.

My deal was I would win every fight and now i am the trouble maker with mental issues.
When my dad beat on me it was not a but whoopin with a belt it was strangle you until you hit the floor passed out.
He would be standing over you when you came too and if you start crying you get kicked with his pointy boots until you shut the F up.
Yep bloody and bruised laying on the floor keeping it all in.

I relate to may abused and "mental" people I know what it was like .

But i have not had to support or try to fix a full blown mental illness.
Just children/teens born as crack babies that led rough life's.

We no longer do foster care as it was taking a tole on the wife.

Latest posts

Top Bottom