In honor of those who served. . .something I wrote today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome! That was 6.06 minutes out of my life that I really felt humbled.

One of the things you wrote really hit home.

"Every cross reminds us that these men not much older than boys were willing to sacrifice their blood, sweat and tears, willing to die for one another at the altar of freedom."

In combat, soldiers don't fight for the flag, mom or apple pie. They fight to save the lives of the soldier fighting next to them.

Bottom line.

porscheman2944

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was inspired to write it after seeing that video. My grandfather that lost half of his face in Korea, My full blood Cherokee grandfather the never stepped foot on a plane after the D-day invasion because our troops were mistaking our planes as the enemies and open fire on them. My uncle that was killed in Viet Nam a day and a year before I was born. I have read his letters but still feel close to him. My real grandfather on my dad's side was killed in WWII and never spoke about because my grandmother remarried. I didn't realize until I was in my 20's that the man I knew as grandpa wasn't my dad's father. There are thousands of stories like this all across the country each with their white crosses. I just hope what I wrote would shed a little light on what these soldiers and their families endured for the price of freedom. I hope what I write will make people understand what freedom really is. I want to wake up America to the problem of being patriotic only after a big tragedy but soon roll the flags up and forget where they were put. We saw them out in force after 9/11 and again after Boston, but now it is turning on Bachelor or dancing with the stars or who is winning survivor. My pastor said it best we can all be heroes when it comes to big stuff. but what happens to the small stuff. I have a flag that hangs in front of my house almost 24/7 -365 and it is a pain to pull it down for bad weather, do I ever bother to walk across the street to talk to my neighbor and check on them. It's not the big events that are going to make this country great again it is a multitude of small things and learning how to care for one another that will make this country great again. If writing a few pages that help show how grateful I am for the men and women that have served this country and for the ones who sacrificed their lives then I want to be counted in as doing a tiny piece to make this a better country. Be Blessed! Jeff
237.jpg

oksportsman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the post. Words and a video that ring all to true of the ultimate sacrifice many brave men & women pay to keep us free.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
U.S. Army veteran here (Jan. '66 to Oct. '69), nephew of 5 uncles that served in the Navy in WWII. I caught h*ll for going Army instead of Navy. In all the years of growing up around those uncles, I NEVER remember them EVER talking about the war.

Sunday, while visiting family in Tulsa, we drove down to Muskogee to see the USS Batfish Memorial. Walking through that old war-boat and seeing the size of the interior and the beds (and where they were located) made me realize that those that served on the subs really sacrificed every luxury amenity that they may have known to live in conditions that were cramped as all get out.

My commendations to those veterans that served before me. By comparison, my service was a luxury cruise.

Latest posts

Top Bottom