Incredibly Hot Today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know the humidity must have been high . . . got mushrooms poppin' up all over the lawn!
Yea got a few toadstools in my backyard too. It has been so hot and wet the front yard looks a little rough but the back yard is really bad, and it was all mowed less that 2 weeks ago. New mower I will be able to do it every week and get the trim work done too.

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel ya. I'm SO tired of condescending medical staff. This whole hero worship (mostly THEM worshipping themselves 🙄) is ridiculous.
The thing that drives me absolutely fuking nuts is the office staff hiding behind those damned answering machines and "we will get back to you before the close of business today" and they protect professional staff like they are all hallowed individuals........I've fired 3 doctors in the past year over this bs and told em why

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
1689300390315.png

My son lives in Pheonix. He said when you move there you have to learn how to walk in the heat of the summer because at 114 the rubber in your shoes will melt on the sidewalks.

travisstorma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to the OK Mesonet, Pauls Valley site recorded 126 degree heat index, which is the highest ever measurement in the nearly 30 year Mesonet history.

Amazing what happens when you get a lot of rain to keep humidity high with July temperatures.

1689300664489.png

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I think I saw 111F on the weather earlier. I've had to check waterers 4 to 5 times a day for the last couple of days. And Lord my critters are spoilt. They have ALL learned that if they hear the water come on that means SOMEBODY is getting nice cold water. The chickens come running from all 4 corners of the yard to drink out of the bucket under the faucet ... And ALL the rabbits bang on their waterers trying to convince me what they have isn't good enough now. Lol

I don't mind, bless their hearts. So ... When it's like this they all get fresh, cold water 4 times a day. Because God forbid they actually run out of water for any length of time. I'd never forgive myself.

Yeah...that sounds like my life. Almost gave myself heat stroke yesterday putting a shade cloth over the goat pen. Give all the goats, guineas and chickens fresh, cool water a couple of times today. Got some cold, refreshing watermelon chunks for the chickens. My wife's afraid I'm gonna put an A/C in the goat pen I baby them so much.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wind chill will affect pretty much any animal or humans. Wind chill can be very dangerous because the moving air will more rapidly remove heat from the body. It's exactly why a fan helps to cool you when you're hot. It will affect inanimate objects but only by lessening the amount of time it takes for that object to cool to the ambient air temp.

Heat index is real, also. At higher humidity levels your perspiration doesn't evaporate so it doesn't cool your body like it's supposed to. Therefore it seems hotter than it really is.

It's similar to the Wet Bulb temperature. Sustained exposure to a wet bulb temp above 95° is very dangerous to humans. At that temp the body loses the ability to shed heat and starts to absorb it from the environment.

I don't know if it's used by global climate change activists or not but it's a real measurement of the real affect of heat and moisture in the air. As a weather forecaster for the Air Force it was something we routinely briefed the wing commander on for those required to work outside...like on the flight line...in summer.
I can't even come close to imagining what it must feel like to be working on and be surrounded by all that concrete on a flight-line when the temps are as hot as they have been the last few days. My hat is off to all the airmen/airwomen that have to work in those conditions day after day 👍

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah...that sounds like my life. Almost gave myself heat stroke yesterday putting a shade cloth over the goat pen. Give all the goats, guineas and chickens fresh, cool water a couple of times today. Got some cold, refreshing watermelon chunks for the chickens. My wife's afraid I'm gonna put an A/C in the goat pen I baby them so much.

My chickens' fav is frozen cherry tomatoes. 🤷 The rabbits like cold celery but I have to be careful with it. Cuz they WILL eat too much and make themselves sick.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't even come close to imagining what it must feel like to be working on and be surrounded by all that concrete on a flight-line when the temps are as hot as they have been the last few days. My hat is off to all the airmen/airwomen that have to work in those conditions day after day 👍

I have often wondered if Grumpy's 6 years on the flight line isn't why he loathes even warm-ish weather now. If he had his way the temps wouldn't ever get over the low 50s here. I'm the exact opposite. I'd rather die than go outside when it gets below 70 ... But this is a bit warm for even me. I KNOW it's bad when Dawg doesn't want to sun himself for a half hour or so when we go out. The last couple of days he has gotten his business done in record time and disappeared. When I call him to come on and go back inside with me he comes running outta the deep shade in the back corner. Lol

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The military has flag warnings

Green_1.png
Green Flag (WBGTI of 80 to 84.9 degrees F): Heavy exercises, for non acclimated personnel, will be conducted with caution and under constant supervision.
Yellow_1.png
Yellow Flag (WBGTI of 85 to 87.9 degrees F):
Strenuous exercises or physical labor will be curtailed for non acclimated, newly assigned Marines and Civilian Marines in their first 3 weeks. Avoid outdoor classes or work in the sun.
Red_1.png
Red Flag (WBGTI of 88 to 89.9 degrees F):
All PT or very strenuous work will be curtailed for those not thoroughly acclimated by at least 3 weeks. Personnel not thoroughly acclimated may carry on limited activity not to exceed 6 hours per day.
Black_1.png
Black Flag (WBGTI of 90 and above degrees F):
All nonessential physical activity will be halted.
Below is a link to an Excel spreadsheet automatically generated by the Automatic Heat Stress Sensor(AHSS) system. The WBGT (Wet Bulb Globe Temperature) column is the data to reference to the flag chart above to determine current Flag Conditions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom