Insomniacs anonymous

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstan

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. I'm having a time getting over a hernia surgery. If I move the wrong way and it feels like I'm getting stabbed with Rambo's knife so I sleep what I can in my desk chair. It is too painful getting out of bed or off a sofa to lay down to sleep. So, a night's sleep for me is usually several one-hour naps at best. This is really getting old. Monday will be five weeks since I had the surgery. I'm going to need a butt replacement soon if I don't get better. This is the worst hernia surgery I've had out of five of them.
I feel your pain. I had a water bed when I had mine.

cstan

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a bad case of sleep apnea. I did the test and was issued a machine. The machine put up so much pressure that I had trouble exhaling. So, I didn't another test with a Bpac machine, and they said it is what I need. I have to go back to the sleep doctor next Friday so Medicare will cover it. I hope it is worth it.
I was issued a Bipap machine and I have not slep a night since without it. Before I could fall asleep standing up.

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was issued a Bpac machine and I have not slep a night since without it. Before I could fall asleep standing up.
What is the difference he asks with a perfectly good computer with Google Chrome as a search engine?

How Is BiPAP Different From CPAP? The key difference between BiPAP and CPAP is that a BiPAP machine provides different air pressure levels for inhalation and exhalation. In contrast, a CPAP machine uses the same amount of air pressure whether the sleeper using the machine is breathing in or out.

So I guess the BiPAP is the next generation of the device?

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had insomnia since the age of 8. It was mild and got worse over the years (I'm now 67). Sometimes it was bad. I know some people talk about having no sleep for weeks on end, but for me, I don't think so. I've gone two full days with zero sleep and that's about my limit where my body prepares to explode. At or near day three, I collapse. I've read where people kept a journal during this period and I say BS. I couldn't even consider what tht would be like or how to pull it off because when you get to that point of no sleep, for me, it's been after a week or two of struggle and then no sleep. Your heart is racing madly, and your though process has left the building. Keeping a journal would not be a task I could accomplish or remember to do.
Now I' talking about non drug related sleep deprivations. Where your body no longer knows how to sleep.
It sucks and it can kill you.
They say you'll grow out of it, or, they had it and just did this or that and it worked. Well good for you. None of us are alike. Here's a nice golf clap for ya

Now go see a sleep doctor. It didn't work for me because there's no way I could sleep in one of those rooms knowing people are watching and trying to monitor your brain waves during REM. I never slept a wink but at least it gave them (DR.s) a starting point. From there a lot of test to see in I had a physical or psychological isssue. Well no physical anyway..Ha.
There will be other test, so take them and don't complain. It's a processs.
None of this worked for me. So then we started down the big pharm trail. This is where I needed to be critically honest with my Dr. which a lot of people dont. Some stuff they gave me had worse symtoms than the ones I wanted to rid myslef of. Others made me nauseous, light headed or druged out. That's ok. Tell them. Eventually I found a drug mild enought I had no problems driving or handeling a program which had stacks of stress like pancakes at IHOP. Ha. I didn't feel drowsy or even medicated. I just felt normal when I went to bed and sleep came again.
So the long answer I have is this. Don't give up/if the Dr. you have has given up, fire him and get another. You will find a path. It just takes going down some dust ass trails often, but you'lll find the right one

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is the difference he asks with a perfectly good computer with Google Chrome as a search engine?

How Is BiPAP Different From CPAP? The key difference between BiPAP and CPAP is that a BiPAP machine provides different air pressure levels for inhalation and exhalation. In contrast, a CPAP machine uses the same amount of air pressure whether the sleeper using the machine is breathing in or out.

So I guess the BiPAP is the next generation of the device?
Not exactly, they just do different things. Not everyone needs the pressure difference between inspiratory and expiratory pressures. I just have a CPAP machine, although they have talked about putting me on BiPAP. I kept a lot of patients off of the ventilator, when I was working in the hospital, with BiPAP. It's essentially a non invasive version of a ventilator (no breathing tube), so much better if it works.

jeromebill7718

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The place I had mine done at had adjustable beds. The TV had every channel you could think of. I use the full mask that covers my nose and mouth. I can only sleep on my side also due to various things. That was a little tough because of all the monitors they had on me.
I recently went for a couple weeks without because of surgery on my nose. I couldn’t wait to get back to using it.
I hope you find something that works. I despise taking meds but I would certainly consider it if I had to.
Try Nexgen sleep. they have a headband that records you snoring and monitors your breathing through 2 tubes in your nose. I have had both. The guy at OU kept adjusting the electrodes and was accused of molesting patients. I couldn't go to sleep. Probably because he kept "adjusting my electrodes". I think he just did that to see how deep of a sleeper i was. Must have been related to Bitn' and wanted to sniff me.

jeromebill7718

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have diabetes and wake up about 5 times a night. People can wake up around 30 times a night without it being a big deal but those are people who wake up and it doesn't bother them. I wake up and go pee and start thinking about stuff I need to do. Illness (pain, sleep apnea etc.)and anxiety are the main reasons why people don't sleep.

Latest posts

Top Bottom