Is a blackpowder gun considered a firearm?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
how a hammer is a tool until it's used maliciously then it becomes an ASSAULT weapon

F. I. F. Y.

Several years ago, before CC, an old guy was at the Academy counter, looking to buy a cap and ball revolver. Counter guy was pushing everything in the counter. Old guy told him, "he needed BP, because he could legally carry it, since it wasn't a REAL GUN."
Counter guy refused to sell him anything.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember growing up in TX the blackpowder rifles and build kits were out on the shelves just like BB guns. Haven't noticed that around here and I'm assuming it's due to the okie law. Do you have to do all the regular paperwork and call to the fedbois to purchase one or do they just not display them out on the shelves? Wonder if it is different for the breech loaded BP that use the sabot and pellets?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember growing up in TX the blackpowder rifles and build kits were out on the shelves just like BB guns. Haven't noticed that around here and I'm assuming it's due to the okie law. Do you have to do all the regular paperwork and call to the fedbois to purchase one or do they just not display them out on the shelves? Wonder if it is different for the breech loaded BP that use the sabot and pellets?
It probably more due to lack of interested in muzzleloading and most kits today costing as much as a nice center fire rifle. :anyone:

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish Oklahoma would relax that law. NO criminal is going to take a muzzleloader into a quick trip and commit a crime.
Well, I take that back because criminals are dummy's but the percentage of criminals using muzzleloaders is less than .000001%.
The friends son that I referenced got a non violent felony for a traffic violation in Tx where he exceeded 50 mph over the speed limit on a crotch rocket on a county road with zero traffic.
His parents spent over 10 grand in lawyers to get that felony thrown out, but it didn't happen in an election year where the prosecutor ran on a law and order platform.
He does hunt deer with a bow and small game with air rifles, but still.......
Re: The Tx Law of exceeding 50mph over posted speed limit is a Felony….Is there a similar law in OK ?

rifleman 1981

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There’s got to be more to this story.
This all started in the classified section, when a guy got upset because I said the state of Oklahoma considered Black powder guns to be firearms. I made the comment that as a law enforcement officer I had seen them confiscated after a crime had been committed. That’s the back story here.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Certain models of black powder are considered firearms. The Omega because of changeable barrels were considered firearms. you had to do all the paperwork and go through the AFT to have approval to buy it.
Yes same for T/C Encore even if all you buy is the BP barrel on the receiver, receiver having the serial number.

Latest posts

Top Bottom