Issues with Shaw Homes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We almost built with Shaw four years ago. Luckily, they pissed me off before I signed a contract. My neighborhood is built probably 40-50% Shaw homes. There have been several complaining about them and not honoring their warranty or bullshitting the customer telling them it is normal. One of the biggest complaints is windows leaking. One of my neighbors had hard woods ruined by rain penetrating the front window. Shaw said it was because of the Oklahoma wind-driven rain and not covered under warranty; contact your insurance. Funny, it was maybe ten MPH winds that 'drove' it through the sills.

The wife works in home health and she hears many of her patients complaining of Shaw homes as well.

With all the complaints of my neighbors, I'm glad we didn't build with them. My builder went the extra mile and only charged cost for things (he said his profit is in the price of the house, not addons) with no change fees unless he had already ordered the items and had to pay the supply company a restocking fee.

I definetely think its a wind related incident. We have 1/2 acre lots with NOTHING between them.....and they are almost all backyard. Spring's a comin, so we will find out sooner than later if it is resolved.

@Gunbuffer, i believe it vents to the attic, but i'll have to double check. I did double check if it was drawing anything when running and it definetley does.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned my own construction company since 1993 and built many houses and I have no idea how some builders can build houses as cheap as they do. My cost with no overhead or profit is higher than what I see some homes sell for and some of them actually look pretty good, but both of those problems mentioned above should be fairly easy fixes based on what I've heard. I always use Denshield concrete wall board in any shower, bath, or kitchen wet area. Green board is only a little better than standard sheet rock or gypsum board but Denshield is a cement based product which will handle water basically forever.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Start posting bad reviews any where you can. Get others who own one of their homes to do the same. I know they have a FB page and that would be a good place to start.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I definetely think its a wind related incident. We have 1/2 acre lots with NOTHING between them.....and they are almost all backyard. Spring's a comin, so we will find out sooner than later if it is resolved.

@Gunbuffer, i believe it vents to the attic, but i'll have to double check. I did double check if it was drawing anything when running and it definetley does.
Getting a straight shot to the outside makes the fan work much more efficiently and will clear a b room of humidity really quick

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

OH NO! those should NEVER vent to the attic. Then you just move the moisture up and not out of the house...

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned my own construction company since 1993 and built many houses and I have no idea how some builders can build houses as cheap as they do. My cost with no overhead or profit is higher than what I see some homes sell for and some of them actually look pretty good, but both of those problems mentioned above should be fairly easy fixes based on what I've heard. I always use Denshield concrete wall board in any shower, bath, or kitchen wet area. Green board is only a little better than standard sheet rock or gypsum board but Denshield is a cement based product which will handle water basically forever.

How does that compare to Durock?

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Durock is essentially the same thing but it is not flexible at all and usually comes in 3 x 5 sheets and most drywall crews won't hang it, the tile setters hang it. Denshield comes in 4 x 8 sheets and is installed just like sheet rock or gyp. board and any drywall crew will install it.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, our meeting with him went very well yesterday. He admitted almost immediatelly that it was not right and needs corrected. He is going to set up a meeting with the painter they used, as well as, the paint rep to come out and resolve the issue. He admitted they shouldn't be using flat paint in bathrooms, but they likely won't change their business model over this. We will see what actually comes of it.

As far as the window goes, he ensured me that any more issues will be corrected etc but gotta wait and see if anything else comes up.

I also double checked the vent, it goes out the roof, straight shot, so no issues there.

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Kudos to you. Is hard to find honest contractors/ builders now days. Next to my house is a housing development coming up, just walking around you can see all the corner cutting that is taking place. They sold a lot where a pound was located, the only thing they did was push dirt into the pound and level the ground. Go figure.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, our meeting with him went very well yesterday. He admitted almost immediatelly that it was not right and needs corrected. He is going to set up a meeting with the painter they used, as well as, the paint rep to come out and resolve the issue. He admitted they shouldn't be using flat paint in bathrooms, but they likely won't change their business model over this. We will see what actually comes of it.

As far as the window goes, he ensured me that any more issues will be corrected etc but gotta wait and see if anything else comes up.

I also double checked the vent, it goes out the roof, straight shot, so no issues there.

That ain't a "paint problem". It might be a problem that involves the paint, but it ain't a "paint problem".

They used what they used, and if you use the wrong thing, it ain't the the fault of the thing you used that it don't work.

I build a few houses. I'm terribly interested in knowing what they tell you during and after your meeting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom