It is July and Time for a New Smart Phone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlammerG_89

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Samsung Galaxy S3 and it is great and should be cheap now. I have heard good things on the S4 also but I know the next one I am getting is the Galaxy Note 3

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For all of you using smart phones and wanting to upgrade I have to ask, WHY????? I can make perfectly good phone calls on my old cell phone. :D

Because we no longer use phones as phones anymore. Hell unlimited calling which would have been a cell phone dream 10 years ago is now the norm and as a family of 3 we barely use 240 minutes a month. We send text messages, more than call now it's unobtrusive. I have my work email configured on my phone so whether in a meeting where I am perceived as needed but not ancillary to the discussion I can keep up with email. I use voice to text transcription to take quick notes and always have my business and personal calendar available to me. Curious about something you just heard you can google it on the spot, social media quickly accessible, anf my phone can even work as my personal trainer when I go running. I can also remotely connect to my work network through my phone and have access to my servers that I am responsible for. And though the OP doesn't like iPhones the 5 has replaced carrying a point and shoot camera for us.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Because we no longer use phones as phones anymore. Hell unlimited calling which would have been a cell phone dream 10 years ago is now the norm and as a family of 3 we barely use 240 minutes a month. We send text messages, more than call now it's unobtrusive. I have my work email configured on my phone so whether in a meeting where I am perceived as needed but not ancillary to the discussion I can keep up with email. I use voice to text transcription to take quick notes and always have my business and personal calendar available to me. Curious about something you just heard you can google it on the spot, social media quickly accessible, anf my phone can even work as my personal trainer when I go running. I can also remotely connect to my work network through my phone and have access to my servers that I am responsible for. And though the OP doesn't like iPhones the 5 has replaced carrying a point and shoot camera for us.

Yep the newest toys, or he who dies with the most toys, wins. :D :D

Sorry I still do not understand because I can still make a plain old fashion phone call and do not understand the need to text. I would rather hear their voice when I am talking to someone.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep the newest toys, or he who dies with the most toys, wins. :D :D

Sorry I still do not understand because I can still make a plain old fashion phone call and do not understand the need to text. I would rather hear their voice when I am talking to someone.

It's not about toys for some - it's about utility.

If I can't access my servers from the road, there's a very real potential for me to lose more money with one hour of downtime than what I pay for a cell phone service and the cost of the phone. Nothing like being in the middle of the Nevada desert and getting a serious of alerts that a key system has had an issue that the monitoring system couldn't fix automatically, only to be able to fix it in under five minutes by just pulling up a remote shell.

And if my home Internet service goes down or is degraded, I can switch over to routing everything through my phone. If I don't have Internet service, I don't work. If I don't work, I don't get paid. If I don't get paid, the DC Mafia (HQ at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW) doesn't get their cut. If they don't get their cut, I get threatened for it at gun point while the folks who were living off of it complain that I wasn't working hard enough. It takes 1.5-2 hours to pay for my phone (S3) and phone bill (Verizon) - I've had my primary Internet service be unusable (either down or severely degraded) for as long as 8 straight days before.

I've even remoted into my church's A/V booth during a service to fix an issue... hopefully we get a digital console later this year so that pretty much the entire system can be run remotely if necessary.

Fixing cars or yard equipment has become a breeze since parts diagrams are easy to find for free online. Having a pro come out to fix a major plumbing or HVAC issue can get the bill reduced a little if you can keep him from needing to run back to the shop or to a store to get something that wasn't expected for the job by sending detailed pictures of the problem. Cataloging key fishing spots on a lake... shopping a dozen or more stores at once by scanning a bar code on the shelf... Performing a quick basic background check on who your sister or daughter is dating... Controlling the thermostat, lights, A/V system, etc. from anywhere in (or out of) the house... Recording interactions with law enforcement and uploading the audio and/or video to the Internet automatically for those "rare" occasions when the dash cam or lapel mic malfunctioned... Complete L3 radar data for the incoming storms when you're on the road or don't have access to TV service...

My "phone" is more of a mobile pocket computer than a "phone" to me. I *maybe* talk 45 minutes/month on it, and 95% of those minutes are problem on calls with my wife.

dvPete

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not about toys for some - it's about utility.
I've even remoted into my church's A/V booth during a service to fix an issue... hopefully we get a digital console later this year so that pretty much the entire system can be run remotely if necessary.

Once you get the digital board, your church AV life will be changed forever. I put a Digi SC48 in our church and now I can now mix from anywhere in the building. Working on getting a VPN connection going so I can troubleshoot remotely. But I digress...

Back on topic: I'd like to hear some opinions on the S4 vs the HTC One. I know Verizon doesn't have the One yet, but according to press releases it is coming soon.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For all of you using smart phones and wanting to upgrade I have to ask, WHY????? I can make perfectly good phone calls on my old cell phone. :D

Oddly enough, Rick, I used to have the same opinion. After all, the only reason I had a phone for the most part was so the wife could get in touch with me. I seldom ever called anyone else. However, I have an issue with driving in Tulsa. My directions for North/South/East/West are way off. When the wife and our youngest son were looking at phones about a year and a half ago, I had been considering a smart phone. As a joke, I asked the salesman if the phone could have a compass application. He downloaded one on the spot and a phone was sold to a hesitant user. Since then, I've utilized the phone more as an internet browser to look up businesses and phone numbers than I have for normal phone calls. So, in essence, I use the "smart" more than I use the "phone."

I've also added a flashlight app, the weather, and an app that lets me "stream" channel 9 in OKC during storms.

Veggie, thanks for that link. I'll have to study that this evening when I get off work. While I've enjoyed the Droid by Motorola, the size of the X2 is a bit much, but the Razr is still too expensive to suit me.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oddly enough, Rick, I used to have the same opinion. After all, the only reason I had a phone for the most part was so the wife could get in touch with me. I seldom ever called anyone else. However, I have an issue with driving in Tulsa. My directions for North/South/East/West are way off. When the wife and our youngest son were looking at phones about a year and a half ago, I had been considering a smart phone. As a joke, I asked the salesman if the phone could have a compass application. He downloaded one on the spot and a phone was sold to a hesitant user.

If someone texts you an address, you can instantly load it into the built-in GPS navigation.

I'll admit that's made me a bit lazy, though I tend to use it mainly for context (such as avoiding I-44 during 5PM traffic in OKC - I just need to know where my destination is to figure out the rest).

Latest posts

Top Bottom