It's always good to have a project, so I bought my first 1911-style pistol.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearddevil

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I decided that I needed a new project to play with, so I bought myself a .40 S&W 1911. Which was harder to do than one might imagine, if you don't want to spend a mint. I ended up with a Para P16-40 frame topped with a Delta Elite slide with a 7" compensated Wilson barrel. It looks like it was someone's IPSC gun, so the internals have been worked over and the action is smooth and the trigger is crisp.

The project part comes in that I am going to build and fit a single-stack frame for it. Just because. So I've been picking a piece here and a piece there and a piece from the other place to put together. I'm starting with a Caspian Stainless race frame and beavertail, Nighthawk trigger, and Ed Brown SS pin and spring kit and hardcore sear spring. I've picked up a Fusion SS ejector, and I'm shopping around for hammer/sear/disconnector sets.

Who's got strong feelings on hammer/sear combinations?

Of course, now I need to clear some things out of the old safe, so if anyone wants a nicely loaded, worked over Steyr M40 with a bunch of magazines and a couple of holsters, or a very nice Valmet 412 over/under...

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For ignition parts it's hard to beat C&S. All other small parts, take your pick of EGW, Wilson, Brown etc.... lotsa good ones.

Fusion and Nighthawk don't make a thing, they are just rebadged parts.

bearddevil

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
There does seem to be a lot of stuff that's the same part, rebranded six ways from Sunday. The trigger and ejector seem like decent-enough parts, though, and they were pretty inexpensive. I figure that they'll work well enough as starter parts until I decide to upgrade them.

Edmond

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What vendors do you guys suggest for the internals?

I took my Springer mil spec apart months ago with the intention of putting some upgraded internals in there. I really need to get it done.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The other folks are right about the fire control kits. And C & S does make good kits. IMO you should get the Kit in the link that robar-g19 includes...the kit that includes the springs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom