It's time to learn how to ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claricSTi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I am finally selling my sti and will be buying my first bike within the next week or two. I know there is a few people here that ride and thought I'd ask your opinion. I am 6'3-4 at about 210 and have virtually no riding experience (will definitely be taking msf). I've riden dirt bikes a couple times but that was close to ten years ago. Since I'm starting out with no experience I wanted to get something lower powered to learn on. I've been thinking a dual sport would be a good idea so when I upgrade it can still be used for trails etc.. Currenty I'm liking drz400sm but am pretty open to suggestion. I had a customer yesterday that said I shouldn't start on anything lower than a 750cc due to my size. I don't really care about a power pissing contest or looking cool, I just want to learn to ride. You guys have any suggestions on another good starter bike or any insight on the cc that would be fitting?

For reference, I was initially looking at 250s since that seems to be the norm. I have since decided against this because I will eventually want to do some highway riding to the lake and know the 250 wouldn't be to fun at those speeds. I know they can get up that fast but don't think I want that vibration for the hour trip to my cabin. Also, I am not looking into sport bikes so ninjas etc. are out of the running. I really like the idea of a buell blast but also like the supermotard route as I can still use it after upgrading.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How much you looking to spend? That's one question a KTM 690 super motard would be the upper end of what you're looking at if the SM route is where you want to go. Don't discount the WR250 Gkasper here on the boards and another rider I know have them and have done the dual sport thing to colorado from tulsa on them.

The DRZ is a bit undepowered for it's size and weight.

Since you're not looking at sport bikes I won't bother giving much advice there other than ego usually gets people to buy way more than they should, if you go that route nothing over 600.

As for cruisers the relively low rpm limit keeps them below the incredibly stupid power capacity of a sport bike so a 750 would do you fine.

I will say this once and only once, personal protective equipment, a real helmet, real boots(no lace ups), long pants, a riding jacket and gloves along with a MSF basic riders course should all be ready to go and completed before you ever get on the street. /end lecture

FYI Oklahoma is one of the few states where it is extremely easy to make an offroad vehicle street legal, any dirtbike you want like a wr450 can be tagged if you put the proper equipment on it.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
For lower powered, I'd go with something like this.

awww.giant_bicycles.com__upload_au_bikes_models_zooms_2009_700_tcr_advanced_sl_team.jpg

[Broken External Image]

But if you want something else to do all the manly work, a motorcycle would probably be a good choice. :D

claricSTi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I will say this once and only once, personal protective equipment, a real helmet, real boots(no lace ups), long pants, a riding jacket and gloves along with a MSF basic riders course should all be ready to go and completed before you ever get on the street. /end lecture

I am setting aside a good amount of cash for safety equiptment and plan to take the MSF course ASAP. I am looking to spend 3-4 if I get a SM as I plan to keep it.

Pumpkin- While that's funny I know that it's ture for the most part. (Though, if the bike fell on me, a dirtbike would hurt a lot less than a 500+ lb cruiser)

redneck1861

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sell Harley Davidson's at a dealership. I always reccomend getting something that you are gonna want to keep for a couple years. A 250cc bike will get you around just fine, but I guarantee after a week or 2 of riding you are gonna want a new bike. a 450 would be good, its got enough power for you to get 100mph on.

Safety gear is very important, don't go out and buy the cheapest helmet you can find. Get a good pair of boots and a jacket and gloves and you will be good.

Also no matter what you ride, if you dump your bike the pavement hurts all the same.

I got hit by a truck on the interstate last year on my superbike, I was doing about 85mph, the truck swereved into my lane and side swiped me. I had no safety gear at all on, I was lucky that I was not badly hurt

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Consider buying a "Thrasher" (Cheap, like an older Japanese import) off of Craigslist and ride the crap out of it. Then, after you make your mistakes, buy something worth keeping shiny side up.

+2 on getting a decent helmet. I support the freedom to choose and I choose to wear one. I've seen too many "Melon slaps" that have resulted in preventable life changing injuries.

claricSTi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys and thanks to the few that pm'd me. It seems like the drz might be a good fit.

Just for reference, I have about 1000 set aside for safety gear at the moment, I am not planning to skimp on anything and am definitely planning to wear the gear (heard too many horror stories). I am am a pretty cautious guy and don't make rash decisions so I don't plan to try and ride above my abilities. I am going to take it nice and slow to really make sure I am comfortable with traffic, starting, stoping and changing lanes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom